Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have my foot on two thoughts for this cockerel:
1- It's easy to make some BSL EE's for friends and family with my BR's
2- My boy is 2 and will be showing in a few years down the road, this will give me time to work on the birds. But maybe I will want him involved in the process of breeding for desirable traits?...

I have been e-mailing the lady that has them said "The major flaw in these roosters for showing is that they have a somewhat dropped wing carriage, and imperfect combs. The one with a better comb has more white in his chest. They both have good skin coloring."

Sounds like a dilemma... only you can decide what you want most in that situation... :confused:

Yeah I am thinking of my 7, I have 2 females.. I got some pics today again. I have one Blue Wheaten cockerel that really dislikes pictures! lol
DSC00948.JPG

A pic of all in one shot (save for the one on the bottom corner that was cut off.)

DSC00958.JPG

the one from the corner:

DSC00954.JPG

So I am pretty sure all the ones OUT side the cage are males, two in are females. I am keeping the top blue cockerel.

So now my decision is what other one am I going to keep? Any thoughts?
The breeder stated the 'mix' was Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash. I am not seeing a lot of splash.. or I have NO idea what I am looking for might be more accurate. lol

What ones would you keep for cocks? of the 5.. keeping 2. Additional thumbnails are close ups of the other cockerels.

DSC00944.JPG
DSC00956.JPG
DSC00969.JPG

Yeah I am thinking of my 7, I have 2 females.. I got some pics today again. I have one Blue Wheaten cockerel that really dislikes pictures! lol
View attachment 1123140

A pic of all in one shot (save for the one on the bottom corner that was cut off.)

View attachment 1123141
the one from the corner:

View attachment 1123142

So I am pretty sure all the ones OUT side the cage are males, two in are females. I am keeping the top blue cockerel.

So now my decision is what other one am I going to keep? Any thoughts?
The breeder stated the 'mix' was Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash. I am not seeing a lot of splash.. or I have NO idea what I am looking for might be more accurate. lol

What ones would you keep for cocks? of the 5.. keeping 2. Additional thumbnails are close ups of the other cockerels.

View attachment 1123143 View attachment 1123145 View attachment 1123147

Pretty certain you have 3 pullets... these 3...

20170828_142322.jpg

They're all blue wheaten pullets... cockerels look to be blue wheatens and wheatens... for color possibilities dependingvon which colors you want to produce, wheaten over blue wheaten will give you approx 50/50 wheatens and blue wheatens... blue wheaten over blue wheaten will give you approx 50% blue wheaten, 25% wheaten and 25% splash wheaten... breeding with smaller numbers can skew the averages, so that is just a general rule of thumb...

As for quality, they're way to young to evaluate yet... I recommend growing them all out as long as you can before choosing your keepers... 6 months minimum, 8 to 10 is better...

Thanks! They are amazing birds. The one that is really blue I thought for sure was male, with that pink comb already, but the odd part is none of the others are pink though.. And for sure.. I will be growing these guys out for a good long while yet. :D I am super excited for next years breeding plans.

The 2017 Ameraucana National Meet is history. We had a great weekend hosted by the Michigan Poultry Fanciers at their Fowl Fest. Over 200 Ameraucanas were entered by 20 exhibitors and over $2,000 in prize $ was up for grabs!
Jensen Pierson won Champion Overall Ameraucana with an outstanding large fowl (LF) black cockerel and Kraig Shaffer took Reserve Champion Ameraucana with a very nice LF white cock. Both Birds went on to respectfully take Champion and Reserve Champion AOSB.

Attachments

• Pierson Ch AOSB.jpg
    Pierson Ch AOSB.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom