Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

here is my first broody, well first that actually was allowed to hatch. I *think* she is from Cree, she was the only one I hatched 2 years ago and free ranges with my bw male. I am going to be putting her with a gorgeous splash roo I hatched last year. I love this girl, she is so sweet and look how full her beard is...

eta-she has 11 chicks under her and that blur in the back left is #12..
11313_imag0052.jpg

Last edited:
here is a pic with 11 of them out, one still under. these are all ee's I think. Roo is a blue wheaten and possible hens are wheaten, blue wheaten, black, splash....since I don't think there are any wheaties I guess those girls were using a different nest
sad.png
. All the eggs were a nice blue so at least the ee's should lay a nice blue
eta-would be nice if I add the pic
tongue.png

11313_imag0057.jpg

Last edited:
Guess which ones are the W/BW Ameraucanas I hatched from Paradise Found Farms.
I have a total of seven.
Not the best pics. IPhone while they run around like crazy.

70479_t_004.jpg

70479_t_006.jpg

Last edited:
For those who caught my posts about my buffalo gnat catastrophy on other threads and offered support, I want to say thanks.

Those unaware of what went on, please be warned. I lost 45 of 52 birds in one day when buffalo gnats swarmed my pens. When in large swarms, they enter the bird's airways through their nostrils. It seems unclear to experts whether the birds suffocate or react to the toxins in the bites. The only way I've found to control the problem is a high velocity fan, and my 7 survivors are happily staying behind that fan today. [Either side is free of buffalo gnats, and yesterday they used the front side.] I can tell you that no insecticides or repellents, safe for birds, are effective for over a few minutes; other than a tiki torch which works to some extent.

The good news is that one blue Ameraucana survived by flying over the top of my one uncovered pen for the first time in her life. She buried her head under a lumber pile, where I found her because she did not know how to back out. A sport white Freedom Ranger pullet had escaped also, but hid under a junked jeep. I've discovered the buffalo gnats will not fly into dark places, so in an emergency, place your flock in a totally darkened coop if possible. The swarms disappear at dusk, reappear in the morning.

Other than the two mentioned, plus 14 brooder chicks in the house, I have one EE, an Ameraucana/CX project pullet, and 4 ISA Brown laying hens left. If all my brooder chicks are B/B/S splits as suspicioned, the pure whites are totally wiped out along with with all but one pure B/B/S. To drive home the seriousness of this danger to those living near water, I'm posting this graphic picture of the first load of victims I cleaned up. At the time, I was still thinking I might possibly have a virulent disease in the birds, so was quickly trying to react in an appropriate manner, I could have processed for dog food but..................................

44349_dead_chickens_001.jpg

44349_dead_chickens_002.jpg

Steve, I have a pen of 6 hens and 1 roo, all black, from Paul Smith. If you want to incubate in a couple weeks I will send you some eggs...I want to wait at least a week or two as they had a b/w roo in there until 2 1/2 weeks ago. Let me know...

Back
Top Bottom