Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I've never even heard of buffalo gnats? Are they just vicious giant gnats? Are they concentrated to one part of the country, or can they be found elsewhere?

Steve, I'm really sorry for your losses. I hope you can rebuild your flocks easily and in short time.

Quote:
That's awful! I'm supposed to be receiving 2dz hatching eggs from someone but I don't need all of them. I could have her send you a dz. if that would help you at all. PM if you'd like to have me arrange that.

Quote:
They're fairly wide spread across America in places with running water; though there are several subspecies and different areas may have different types. Usually little more than a nuisance around here, they sometimes reach plague populations in a wet spring or after flooding. [This is the second consecutive wet spring with flooding here] Some subspecies prefer birds , and I suspicion this may be one. They're also called blackflies and turkey flies in some areas. The females need to suck blood before reproducing, so they are naturally desperate to find a host.

Quote:
This is going to be a big problem in our area this year.All of Mississippi drainage.
Have seen it in the past during very wet times. I have quit a couple of fishing and hunting trips over them. Very painful bite even on people. Not giant but in numbers it does not matter. Known here in Arkansas as "Saber Tooth Bull Gnat"

I hadn't heard of your disaster either. Wow Steve! I can't say how sorry I am for you and your flock. Thanks for letting us know...is there anything I can do to help since we're sorta nearby?

Quote:
VERY sorry for your loss!
sad.png
I'm glad you figured out what caused the deaths so that you can attempt to fight it in the future. Sheesh. I had NO idea blackflies (as we call them here) were deadly to chickens.

Quote:
Those are Easter Eggers, not Ameraucanas.
wink.png

The chipmunk striped one will either grow to be a black/white or black/red male or it will be a brown and black female like the hen pictured.

You were right, the chipmunk striped one "Gris" grew into a blackish/white male. This morning, at 8 weeks old, he crowed!!! Wow!! Was really hoping he was a she~
wink.png
He is and is going to be a beautiful bird!
He and another of my chicks (Marans- male I am guessing as he has a large comb and getting a wattle already at only 7 weeks that the other Marans does not have) have been challenging each other quite a bit lately... Hoping the get the pecking order down fast, as I don't want to get rid of either of them, and do not want to have to build another hen house for separate flocks.

84938_100_4711.jpg

Last edited:
I'm new to byc and met byc member debbie(flf) today. I hatched eggs from her last year and just picked up 3 little black/blue chicks from blehm/smith lines. I will post pics when I can. I have some lavender bantams and a few black hens from last year. I think I got two pullets and one roo, but need a roo because mine got taken by a predator over the winter. I'm hoping to buy a nice black roo at the national show in november. I've been trying to read through the thread. still lots of reading. I've learned a lot on what i have read through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom