Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

And I had 2 of Pip's buffs and a tailfeathers x pips blue wheaten hatch today. Fingers crossed for girls
fl.gif

pips&peeps :

Can we see the other one up close?

Here is my bantam cock bird. His wings are down in the photo because he was trying to attack me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/5845_bantam.jpg

Your cock bird resembles the one I thought would be better for mating. I have such a hard time with the roosters. I'll get a close up tomorrow. I'm going to a flea market in the morning and then I will take some. He is in with my Silver hen now because she lost her rooster and I don't have enough hens to run two roosters in the with the blues and blacks. I did though integrate two 4(maybe 4 1/2 month old breeder was a little sketchy with dates) pullets in with them though. Jean how much does your little rooster weigh? He looks smaller then mine. My Lavenders a dwarfed by some of my other bantams. Should I breed my black rooster to them to maybe bring the size down a bit?​

Hi Everyone! I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. My kind neighbor gave me these guys to get me chicken crazy(she was trying to get more blues and ended up with a lot of extra blacks). So far I love them and am planning a chicken garden extravaganza as an expansion for next year. She got their parents from a breeder and these are the results of her pen bred 6 favorites. I think I might have 2 Roos and 3 Hens. I was hoping for some opinions on keeping a Roo...are they too closely related? I don't think I will ever want to show but still do they look good enough to keep for breeding stock or should I just enjoy their eggs? Their legs color seems right. I think their eyes might be a little light or green but they seem too be darkening as they get older so I am not sure about that either...

Here is one peeking out of my modified dog house coop
94737_img_0066.jpg

They love that our lawn mower broke
94737_img_0107.jpg

I am pretty sure he is a boy...my husband says his name is Pot Pie but I am not yet convinced it is fitting
94737_img_0084.jpg

A Hen
94737_img_0080.jpg

Here they all are assessing the threat of my 5yo on a powerwheel
94737_img_0090.jpg

Thank for all the great info!

Please disregard the number of post I have...it was a very rainy spring and I spent a lot of time researching and asking questions to kill time.

I have only had chickens since Late April. I recently was able to obtain some chick I ordered in February....I understand they are of very good stock....and pure bred Ameruacanas. One of them died from stress, the other three are thriving.

My question is about the difference in the feathering rate of the three chicks. They are all within a day of each other in age and now between 3 and 4 weeks old. (Cute as little buttons too, but that kinda goes without saying since they are still mostly fuzzy ) Two of them have no tail feathers, yet. One has tail feathers almost an inch long. Does this mean I have one roo and 2 hens (when they grow up, right now they are just chicks) Or do I have 2 roos and one hen? IF I have a roo then my SO (ray) is buidling me a second coop for my birthday, so there is no way my OE Roo can breed the hens. I want to keep the blood line pure. I may breed my OE and Maran hens with the Ameruacana roo, but not the other way around. So I really want/need to know ASAP if I have an Ameruacana roo. If I don't, I want a new dress for the wedding for my birthday instead of a coop.

Quote:
my roo's tails feather slower usually....not always though. If you could post pics, especially of their combs we can try to help you
wink.png

Quote:
my roo's tails feather slower usually....not always though. If you could post pics, especially of their combs we can try to help you
wink.png

They don't have a comb, they are 3 weeks old. I was afraid of that....that the roos tails feather slower....that means I have 2 roos and one hen. That isn't a good ratio, unless you're a human.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom