Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
The BLRW work the same way that solid blues do minus the red.

Black x Black- 100% Black
Splashx Splash- 100% Splash
Black x Splash- 100% Blue
Black x Blue- 50% Black 50% Blue
Blue x Splash- 50% Blue 50% Splash
Blue x Blue- 25% Black 50% Blue 25% Splash

I think those percentages are right. It works the same with Wheatens and Blue Wheatens

Quote:
I'm not an Ameraucana pro but your post makes me feel a whole lot better because my EEs also have all their beards and muffs gone from feather picking over the winter. They look like regular chickens!
tongue.png
I am curious to hear if there is something you can do to promote feather growth. Your post also convinces me that show birds perhaps have to live lonely lives alone!!!! (I have an EE hen that suffers from the same degree of beardlessness as your roo!!!)

Last edited:
The beard thing drives me crazy! My show birds are my breeders so I usually don't have a problem with it for example my Lavenders and some of my Brown Reds. My Silvers aren't too bad either BUT the Blues and Blacks are terrible about it!

Quote:
GREAT!!
hmm.png
Blues and Blacks are what I'm into.
sad.png
(My babies are just barely 6 weeks old and already I see the feather-feast going on .... the dust bathers get zinged something fierce!)

It might let up a little once I take one of the roosters out. I just can't decide what one to keep as the breeder and what one to sock back as a spare. Two hens are not enough for two roosters. Buts it pretty hot out so mating isn't on the mind today. I think I've pretty well decided. I've also noticed that they head hen and the rooster will get their beards picked. My head Brown Red hen has muffs and a stragily beard now but was beardless the other two hens are fine. The rooster is beardless in that pen too. I don't know why the Lavenders and Silvers don't pick. I need to find a cure!

TK, I have found nothing that will promote the beard and muff to grow back quickly. I have some cockerels that are picked clean and stay clean for 4-5 months.....

You need to weigh those birds, the blacks look a little big:

STANDARD WEIGHTS for BANTAMS

Cock……………….30 oz. Hen…………….….26 oz.

Cockerel…………..26 oz. Pullet……………..24 oz.

tail angle 45 degrees for male and 40 for female on the bantams, both 45 on the large fowl

The lavender male has too loose of wings, they are to be held up tight against the body. Wing "tips to be carried above the hock joint".

The blue has very nice lacing!!!

Rainy Day here in Northern California. ERK. It's June, right? It's not supposed to do this in June here!
Funny pictures today from my John Blehm kids, now 10 weeks old~

I wanna go back out in the mud puddle!
65263_am_chicks_10_weeks_8.jpg

Boy or Girl, boy or girl, BOY or GIRL! Who me?
65263_am_chicks_10_weeks_1.jpg

Wow, is that what melon looks like?
65263_am_chicks_10_weeks_5.jpg

What else can I eat now??:
65263_am_chicks_10_weeks_16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom