Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Jean, I find it very interesting to see the differences. It kind of gives you an idea of what breeders are trying to achieve. I have two Wheaten cockerels growing, one from Paul and another from John, they're so different. They both have their good aspects and their not-so-good parts, sometimes I wish I could just put the two little guys together and make one better bird. LOL.

huckleberryfarm, I was fortunate enough to have another pullet heavy year, I've got about 30 or so juvies growing out with only 6 cockerels in the mix. I had two pullets that were clean faced (chicks that I received from Paul Smith) they were maturing beautifully but every square inch of space counts here because we live in the city. I don't have the room to grow out every single bird I hatch and then wait until they are a year old to cull, etc. I have to be picky from early on. So instead of taking the time to test breed them like Cloverleaf mentioned, they were sold as layers. I'm still very bummed over losing one of them, she had GORGEOUS solid BLUE tail feathers. [​IMG]

But, I also have many other pullets to raise and choose from later this year on who gets to stay and use for breeding. Something I've learned over the past few years is that sometimes you just have to work with what you've got and strive to better the birds you have. Either that or if you have the money to spend, source better birds and have a breeder ship you a replacement. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    Lucky you! I have 8 pullets and almost 30 cockerels! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:

This is the second year in a row that I've gotten so "lucky", I honestly don't know what it is but I consistently have hatched (or received as day olds) more pullets than cockerels. This year I was actually kind of upset, I really wanted a Blue Wheaten cockerel or two to grow out, specifically from my breeding, but I didn't hatch a single one!

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    On the upside of it though, grow out all of those boys and pick the absolute best one. You're sure to have a clean hackled, fully blue or black bearded boy with those numbers!

5. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:

This is the second year in a row that I've gotten so "lucky", I honestly don't know what it is but I consistently have hatched (or received as day olds) more pullets than cockerels. This year I was actually kind of upset, I really wanted a Blue Wheaten cockerel or two to grow out, specifically from my breeding, but I didn't hatch a single one!

Well, Jeremy, you did hatch one but gave him to me! [​IMG] It is too bad that he didn't turn out to be an improvement on his daddy, Claude. Hopefully, someone will want him for their breeding program. He hasn't crowed yet but I'm anticipating it any day now. After today, he will be the lone cockerel in our flock and that might encourage him to start.

[​IMG]

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    He still may have potential!

Please let me know Debi when y'all are ready to rehome little Lemon Drop and I will gladly take him back, I need at least one BW boy to grow out this year.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My 8 week old Splash Wheaten Roo, "Griffith"

Daddy: Geoffrey from Jean, Hen: blue wheaten from Peachick

I LOVE his coloring... and can't wait too see what he looks like in October at 6 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Really?!!! That would be fantastic if you took him! He's such a good boy and we so wish that we could keep him. We've been trying out new names for him since Lemon Drop is not quite macho enough. We've been calling him Leon but don't know if that's right for him. DD Monet wants to name him Captain Jack Sparrow! [​IMG] His voice has been getting lower and louder so I expect to hear a crow soon. I'll be sure to let you know!

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Really?!!! That would be fantastic if you took him! He's such a good boy and we so wish that we could keep him. We've been trying out new names for him since Lemon Drop is not quite macho enough. We've been calling him Leon but don't know if that's right for him. DD Monet wants to name him Captain Jack Sparrow! [​IMG] His voice has been getting lower and louder so I expect to hear a crow soon. I'll be sure to let you know!

I will take him back anytime. [​IMG]

I actually like Lemon Drop and will probably end up calling him that still. [​IMG]

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    splash pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by