Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    Quote:She donated my original pair to a poultry show in Ventura for thier auction. I was so excited I won! She is super nice too. I've talked to her at a couple shows.

Lucky!

A friend of mine visited her place a few weeks back and was amazed by the number of chicks and juvies she was growing out, she means business with her chicken operation.

Bridget Riddle is one of the finest people I know. Her enthusiasm for chickens and life in general is infectious. Good People. I am "the friend" who went and got eggs from Bridget a few weeks ago. Truly an exemplary breeding operation. I have 2 Wheatens (a pair), and one white from Bridget who are 3 months old. . The white was a surprise, I thought the egg said WH AM,which it did. Of course, I thought it meant Wheaten...I normally shy away from white birds. This white girl is gorgeous. Much larger that the 2 same aged wheatens. It is funny, for a while,I thought Bridget was my "little secret" source for SQ eggs. Before I met her, the primary distinction between breeds was egg color and feed efficiency. After seeing her birds, I am a convert. No more Hatchery birds for me. Now I realize a lot of folks know her... Truly a wealth of knowledge and help for us California folks... Three Cheers for Bridget Riddle... Hip Hip Hooray.. [​IMG][​IMG]

And also, Thank You Jean for the original genetics.. Beautiful birds.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG] Tricia, your birds are so pretty! [​IMG]

The three I hatched from your eggs are are just precious! I think I even ended up with a Breeding Trio! They're the sweetest babies ever. When I come in their pen they gather around me feet and give me those sad little eyes .... and who can resist them? [​IMG]

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:[​IMG] Tricia, your birds are so pretty! [​IMG]

The three I hatched from your eggs are are just precious! I think I even ended up with a Breeding Trio! They're the sweetest babies ever. When I come in their pen they gather around me feet and give me those sad little eyes .... and who can resist them? [​IMG]

I'm so excited for you! I just love them.​

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Lucky!

A friend of mine visited her place a few weeks back and was amazed by the number of chicks and juvies she was growing out, she means business with her chicken operation.

Bridget Riddle is one of the finest people I know. Her enthusiasm for chickens and life in general is infectious. Good People. I am "the friend" who went and got eggs from Bridget a few weeks ago. Truly an exemplary breeding operation. I have 2 Wheatens (a pair), and one white from Bridget who are 3 months old. . The white was a surprise, I thought the egg said WH AM,which it did. Of course, I thought it meant Wheaten...I normally shy away from white birds. This white girl is gorgeous. Much larger that the 2 same aged wheatens. It is funny, for a while,I thought Bridget was my "little secret" source for SQ eggs. Before I met her, the primary distinction between breeds was egg color and feed efficiency. After seeing her birds, I am a convert. No more Hatchery birds for me. Now I realize a lot of folks know her... Truly a wealth of knowledge and help for us California folks... Three Cheers for Bridget Riddle... Hip Hip Hooray.. [​IMG][​IMG]

When I visited Bridget I thought the same thing! "...WOW, I can't believe she has so many great birds, I'll definitely be back here for sure for more eggs... I wonder if I'm the only person who knows..." LOL! [​IMG]

pips&peeps :

Quote:Bridget Riddle? I've seen her Whites in person, they are big gorgeous birds! [​IMG]

She got lots of ameraucanas from me. [​IMG]

I have birds growing out from several different breeders this year Jean and honestly, yours (from my adults that I hatched from you) have been the most consistent in color and overall appearance. The other breeders birds are marked differently, or grow slower/faster, etc. It's really interesting to see the different lines. They're all the same breed and variety but the differences are still visible. I can walk to the grow out pen and know exactly which birds are from Paul Smith or spot the gigantic beards on my pullets from Luanne (cpartist). Overall though, I'm happiest with my Ribbeck birds. Most of the grow outs are still young, so we'll see how they all mature. I'm extremely excited. [​IMG]

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Lucky!

She bought so many eggs from me one year, I just sent her a box of extras! She is a good customer and seems like a very nice person.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:how did you get those eggs dark red? that is a pretty egg now

Those are Black Copper Marans eggs. From Bev Davis line.

7. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    The babies I got from Tricia are such sweeties...They also give me sad little eyes and peeps, and now I know why. I let them out from their separated cage and they just started flying onto my shoulders and sitting on my lap. They want to be around me and they don't give annoyed little chirps when I touch them, not like those darn leghorns... I have fallen in love with these Ameraucanas!! [​IMG]

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Jeremy,

Isn't it funny how you can spot different people's lines after you start breeding for a while. [​IMG]

I can almost always pick out one of my birds from pictures. Wayne M's wheatens and blue wheatens seem to be very similar to my line and I get them confused sometimes. Just means I must be doing something right, he's been breeding for a while.

9. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    What do you all do with your clean faced birds? Seems like I have a lot of them in my Wheatens for some reason. Is that something you can breed back in if the bird is otherwise great? Or do they move on to the laying flock?

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:If you have to use them because you don't have enough birds with good beards, or if they have exceptional type otherwise, use them with a roo that has a big full beard, which should be a bird with two copies of the beard gene. The chicks will have sparse beards. Breed those females back to a full bearded male, and keep the offspring with big full beards. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by