Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:It could have been the shipping (if they were shipped) - but you should contact the breeder either way. I like to know when my eggs don't work out. If I have 9 great hatches and one bad one in a short period of time I can pretty much chalk it up to shipping, weather( high humidity or power outages) , or errors in incubation.
    Some breeders will send you another set of eggs just for the cost of shipping, but maybe they could pack them a different way next time so you can see if that helps.

Sorry about the eggs [​IMG]

2. stitch_b

stitch_b Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Quote:It could have been the shipping (if they were shipped) - but you should contact the breeder either way. I like to know when my eggs don't work out. If I have 9 great hatches and one bad one in a short period of time I can pretty much chalk it up to shipping, weather( high humidity or power outages) , or errors in incubation.
    Some breeders will send you another set of eggs just for the cost of shipping, but maybe they could pack them a different way next time so you can see if that helps.

Sorry about the eggs [​IMG]

Thanks for the condolences! Yea I think may have been the ultimate cause. For some reason these eggs didn't make it off the truck with my other eggs [​IMG] well it sucks but im deffinatly not discouraged to the point that I don't want to try again so I will see if can get some replacements. Hopefully this time all will goes well and ill have some birds to brag about with you guys here!

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Buff's are hatched with light legs and they are supposed to darken as the bird matures. It is a problem with the buff line. I haven't heard of or seen any buffs with yellow skin, so I don't think that would be a problem.

If you bought eggs from one of my auctions, there is a disclaimer that says I have been getting some anomalies out of my buff pen, which are stripes and sometimes a dark chick. I think my lines carries the dun gene and when just the right mating happens I get the off colored chicks. But, yes, put it in the laying pen.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    pips&peeps :

Quote:Buff's are hatched with light legs and they are supposed to darken as the bird matures. It is a problem with the buff line. I haven't heard of or seen any buffs with yellow skin, so I don't think that would be a problem.

If you bought eggs from one of my auctions, there is a disclaimer that says I have been getting some anomalies out of my buff pen, which are stripes and sometimes a dark chick. I think my lines carries the dun gene and when just the right mating happens I get the off colored chicks. But, yes, put it in the laying pen.

There is only one with the dun look and I ended up getting 14 chicks from the 16 eggs, but overall pretty happy with them. I knew about the irregularities and honestly just was curious about the leg color, my whites had the same thing took about 6 weeks til they turned slate. They are very gentle lil chicks though and might like them more than my blacks.​

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    News flash!

Brooody Ameraucana Hen Hatches 7.

Looks like 1 black, 4 splash and 2 blue.

Woo Hoo

And I thought I was done hatching.

6. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    I hope you will tell me if my only chick, Puffy Davis, to hatch from Mahonri is male. "He" has the dark feathers coming in at the base of "his" neck that I have read here is a sure sign of a cockerel in the Wheatons. I will be so disappointed but am prepared for the news..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    NotAFarm - Cute chick, sorry horrible with Wheaten genders.

I'm getting very discouraged with my LF Lavs, lost 3-4 in the last few days. This morning my dog killed one of them. I have two left...so upset. Those things were so dang expensive!$$$

The heat has been awful here, lost almost 30 chickens so far.

~ Aspen

8. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Very sorry for your losses, Mrs. Fluffy Puffy. I know it was around 105 today and my chickens were panting up a storm - or I wish a storm would come. I misted them, they hated it (except for my Red Stars) but my Ameraucanas went crazy if I tried to mist them. I go out every couple of hours to check on them now that there's this heat wave. I sincerely hope you don't lose anymore!

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I'm not 100% on boy yet. Sometimess girls can have the dark RED feathers coming in on thier necks. Push them back and look for actually BLACK or BLUE.

In other news-
    My BW pen is finally laying like crazy. I might be offering some eggs up after I fill a few orders locally.
    I have gotten NO EGGS from my lavender/split pen in 4 days. I think there is a snake in there, but I can't find it. Its just too strange that they'd all just stop like that.

Happy 4th everybody! [​IMG]

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

My SOP has arrived!!! Now I have LOTS of readin' and LOTS of learnin' to do!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by