1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I know I'll be stepping on toes here:
    Guessing they are visually blue, IMO you have 2 blue, split for lav, EEs that visually qualify as blue Ameraucanas; breeding them will eventionally produce splash lavs. From listening to experienced breeders and reading, the inevitable crossing of the two colors [dominate and recessive blue] and the resulting problems that B/B/S Ameraucana breeders would then inherite, caused several of John Blehm's peers to criticize his work at breeding the lav gene into Ameraucanas.

I aplogize for being so outspoken; it's perhaps motivated by a paranoia of someday having the frustration of having to seperate the two genes from my own birds. I like both colors, but firmly believe these two genes should not be crossed.
    [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I know I'll be stepping on toes here:
    Guessing they are visually blue, IMO you have 2 blue, split for lav, EEs that visually qualify as blue Ameraucanas; breeding them will eventionally produce splash lavs. From listening to experienced breeders and reading, the inevitable crossing of the two colors [dominate and recessive blue] and the resulting problems that B/B/S Ameraucana breeders would then inherite, caused several of John Blehm's peers to criticize his work at breeding the lav gene into Ameraucanas.

I aplogize for being so outspoken; it's perhaps motivated by a paranoia of someday having the frustration of having to seperate the two genes from my own birds. I like both colors, but firmly believe these two genes should not be crossed.
    [​IMG]

Don't apologize Steve. I intentionally made this cross because I have been told by more than one long time Ameraucana breeder that crossing the lavs to blue will get rid of that gray ticking that is such a problem in the lavs. I don't see them as EEs any more than I would see a black/lav split bird as an EE though.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I'm thinking she is going to be purrty...at least I think it's a she? Posting two pictures because this person is still not computer savvy. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Here's a front view...pullet? I got the eggs from d[​IMG]sgard... nice lady!

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Pullet. [​IMG]

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oooh, I like that seeing that word..thanks!

7. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Okay question im ordering some what i think is Ameraucanas someone had posted that the hatchery's don't correctly put the right Easter egg layer name when they sell it im ordering them from Meyer Hatchery so am i getting Araucana's,Ameraucanas or EE's? if anyone has ordered them from Meyer before

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:the hatcheries only sell EE's....no matter how they spell it

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. [​IMG] My opinion is that of a novice, so should be considered as such; but I consider breeding bl into lavender Ameraucanas, in an attempt to get cleaner lavender, a mistake on par with long time breeders intoducing barring and motteling genes to recessive white, in an attempt to get cleaner white Ameraucanas................................... I'm not sure the introduction had any benefits; but if the battle to remove the genes and associated problems is won, so would the theorized gain be lost. Hopefully my lavs are not carrying bl; and I never encounter the problem of a bird, possibly being superior in other ways, haveing to be culled due to it being a splash, in my own lavenders. At least in blue Ameraucanas, I have the option of never breeding blue to blue and avoiding splash if I choose to................................... no such option exists with blue/lav, and a color [lav] with its already existing genetic problems associated is given one more, and it [splash] being one its original breeders thought to be getting away from. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  10. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    so then im not getting Ameraucans im getting EE's which is just a crossed EE laying chicken that was crossed with a non EE chicken right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by