Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. CochinBarry

CochinBarry Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Walhalla SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a bird i hatched from ameraucana eggs, is he a EE or just a ameraucana with a lot of leakage? [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    What color is he supposed to be?

I know I sold some silver eggs this year and sent a couple extras that were silver split to black birds.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Are the feathers over the body blue [grey with darker edgeing]? In my pens, an Ameraucana with silver, gold, or red leakage is considered an EE; and he would be considered a gorgeous one!

4. phoneman

phoneman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumter s.c.
    Quote:Just like blue/black/splash. You will get blue wheaten, wheaten (black is a given) and splash wheaten.

i have never heard of the splash wheaton. is there anyone out here that has a wheaton rooster and hen,that they could post a picture of. so i could see what they look like.

5. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    A couple questions - I recently purchased 3 blue Ameraucana's from Cloverleaf Farm. While there she very generously gave me two Chicks from a lavender hen and blue father. So technically what color are they? The more I read the more confused I am lol. It's been very interesting to see how differently they progress. The feathering has been very different and the 2 Lavender/blue chicks have a lot more comb action going on. They are only 3 weeks (I believe) yet look to have distinct little peas with a ridge on each side. Is it possible for a roo to develop a comb this soon? I'm still hanging on the the hope the combs will go away and be girls lol. (can't keep roos) I tried to get a picture but it turns out too blurry on such a tiny comb.

This is my first experience with chickens and I'm hooked!! I also purchased Wheaten Ameraucana's from Kathleen, I believe that they are about 9 weeks and as friendly as can be.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:They're still blue, they just carry recessive lavender...but if you already see 3 distinct rows in the comb they're likely boys [​IMG]

7. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Wow! This thread is so long I don't have time to read all of it, sorry.

I have a question about temperament, though. I bought a 1 year old along with two other hens a couple of months ago and Bunny, our only Ameraucana, is seriously aggressive towards the others. We've had her separated from them for about 4 days now where they can still see each other. Yesterday I was letting her out to free range and putting the others in her run to keep them still separate when she flew at and attacked one of the others. That's new behavior and more aggressive than I've seen. Her aggression prior was lots of pecking and feather pulling with one other instance of a real "attack" but it wasn't as out of the blue as this.

My question is whether this behavior is breed related or not. My DH wants to re-home her but I'm not sure how I feel about that. I was hoping to rehabilitate her but if this is common to the breed that seems unlikely to happen. I have no idea what her lineage is but she is not an EE. I did a lot of research on EE vs. Ameraucana and she's definitely not an EE. She's a beautiful dark silver so I guess she's a "blue"?

Thank you for any input you may have,
    5Leepy!

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    That's a behavior I've seen in certain lines of bantams, but not in large fowl. BUT every time you take her out & put her back in, she will feel the need to reassert her dominance. Leave her alone in there, as long as she isn't drawing blood and things "should" settle down.

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:Just like blue/black/splash. You will get blue wheaten, wheaten (black is a given) and splash wheaten.

i have never heard of the splash wheaton. is there anyone out here that has a wheaton rooster and hen,that they could post a picture of. so i could see what they look like.

Grown up
    [​IMG]Teenager
    [​IMG]

The girl in the back here is the splash wheaten - just white where ther would be blue or black in the tail feathers and wing tips - very pretty.[​IMG]

PS: Looking to re-home the boy pictured here. Warning- He's a bratt and definitely not a gentleman. Quite the character - his brother we gave away was just a clown - we still miss him - Exceptionally Gentle with humans only. Where there's trouble - he's there if he didn't start it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:i have never heard of the splash wheaton. is there anyone out here that has a wheaton rooster and hen,that they could post a picture of. so i could see what they look like.

Grown up
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62389_lacy_eyes.jpgTeenager
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62389_oct_2010_chick_picnik_015.jpg

The girl in the back here is the splash wheaten - just white where ther would be blue or black in the tail feathers and wing tips - very pretty.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62389_blanche2010.jpg

PS: Looking to re-home the boy pictured here. Warning- He's a bratt and definitely not a gentleman. Quite the character - his brother we gave away was just a clown - we still miss him - Exceptionally Gentle with humans only. Where there's trouble - he's there if he didn't start it.

neat pictures [​IMG] I see that you have a head of cabbage in the pen- did you just run a string through it and do they have any problems being able to pull it apart?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by