Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

<3ChickenForever :

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure......I say she is just straight up EE.....not to be mean.

The owner said it was a lavender ameraucana... I'm just a bit confuseedd. But also thanks for the thoughts.​

It's possible she's a lav with heavy diluted red leakage......................... but that's not what I was suggesting. I mentioned lavender and splash only because they're not recognized varieties on the site I referenced to, but considered Ameraucana by myself and most others. We all have different philosophies on what classifies as an Ameraucana; in my pens a black, blue or lav pullet with any bleed showing is an EE, and will not be used to breed as an Ameraucana or sold as an Ameraucana.

I think they have been eating all of them since they are obviously still laying

A friend of mine had a problem with an egg eating roo....an old timer suggested she feed a tbsp or so of calf manna pellets every couple of days. The roo stopped egg eating almost immediately and there have been no problems since. So I now also feed a little calf manna as a treat as a preventative measure. It also seems to promote nice feather growth and shine.​

Quote:
I had egg eaters in my lav coop early this year, I discovered that the roo was the instigator. I seperated him out for about a month, and nobody ate eggs without him in there. He never ate another egg after I put him back. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'd say it's worth a shot before you get rid of him....
wink.png

My EE's use to egg eat but it was kind of my fault....I dropped an egg while collecting one day and they went after it like CRAZY! Then everytime after that I would have to try to run out there everday before the hens realized what they just did other wise I would have a bunch of eaten eggs! I feel you! It sucks.... I don't have a cure for you... I think you got a pretty good plan, but I agree if he was worth keeping he's worth trying to save!

OK, here are my 2 pick buff roosters so far. Opinions would be appreciated
big_smile.png
First rooster I like best. He is from eggs I hatched from Pips&Peeps. Second rooster I like his comb better and he is from eggs I hatched from Wayne Meredith. They both have great personalities!
Rooster #1
54909_p1070488.jpg
54909_p1070491.jpg

Rooster #2
54909_p1070515.jpg
54909_p1070507.jpg

Both roosters side by side. #1 on left, #2 on right
54909_p1070509.jpg
54909_p1070513.jpg

Hi all. I have 6 wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucanas that I hatched out this spring. Four are 8 weeks old and two are 12 weeks. I'm only planning on keeping one roo, so hopefully there is a decent number of pullets in the group!

Any guesses as to sex and coloring?

1. 8 weeks old -
ameraucana1.jpg

2. 12 weeks
ameraucana2.jpg

3. 12 weeks - blue wheaten pullet?
ameraucana3.jpg

4. 8 weeks - wheaten pullet?
ameraucana4.jpg

5. 8 weeks - at first I thought pullet, but now roo? blue wheaten?
ameraucana5.jpg

6. 8 weeks - wheaten roo?
ameraucana6.jpg

All together
ameraucana7.jpg

Last edited:
Welllll you're a bit heavy on the roos. Number 3 is a splash wheaten roo. I have never seen wheaten pullets color in with so much black like that and frankly, I am a little thrown off
hmm.png
(like numbers 2 and 5)

Blue wheaten will never include any black.

Last edited:
Two? Ugh, looks like I need to get a hold of another batch of eggs to hatch. The splash roo is so pretty and the friendliest in the bunch, so he'll probably get to stay.

Back
Top Bottom