Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. stitch_b

stitch_b Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Quote:Just like blue/black/splash. You will get blue wheaten, wheaten (black is a given) and splash wheaten.

Ok awesome! That's what I thought I wasn't 100% sure though. Also I didn't know that Wheaton were the black variety-it makes sense though now that I think of the roos which have BLACK and Wheaton feathers [​IMG] Will I be able to tell what I have when they hatch or will I have to wait for thier big boy feathers to come in?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Just like blue/black/splash. You will get blue wheaten, wheaten (black is a given) and splash wheaten.

Ok awesome! That's what I thought I wasn't 100% sure though. Also I didn't know that Wheaton were the black variety-it makes sense though now that I think of the roos which have BLACK and Wheaton feathers [​IMG] Will I be able to tell what I have when they hatch or will I have to wait for thier big boy feathers to come in?

You'll know for sure what color and sex they are by about 4 weeks. The chicks will have a random partridge-y pattern on early feathers, but that does not mean anything.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:does anyone has or knows of gary ramey lines

I have buffs, wheatens and BCM from Gary. His marans are my favorite. HUGE!

Gary's buffs are related to mine also.

4. stitch_b

stitch_b Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Quote:Ok awesome! That's what I thought I wasn't 100% sure though. Also I didn't know that Wheaton were the black variety-it makes sense though now that I think of the roos which have BLACK and Wheaton feathers [​IMG] Will I be able to tell what I have when they hatch or will I have to wait for thier big boy feathers to come in?

You'll know for sure what color and sex they are by about 4 weeks. The chicks will have a random partridge-y pattern on early feathers, but that does not mean anything.

Thanks alot for the help! I can't wait. I don't have any pips yet but I can hear very faint chirping from the incubator so hopefully soon I can contribute to this thread! Sheesh they sure do take their sweet old time [​IMG] lol

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:No more, but she lays a nice blue egg now. Yes, I saved it.

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    pips&peeps :

You should bring it in October! Put it in a jewel box surrounded by cotton fibers of irridecent pearl whilte with a glass cover! [​IMG] That will peek interest in our breed!​

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana

You should bring it in October! Put it in a jewel box surrounded by cotton fibers of irridecent pearl whilte with a glass cover! [​IMG] That will peek interest in our breed!

I'm VERY nervous about October! I think apart of it is excitment but the other is just nervousness!!!! Is there anyone else nervous about Crossroads?

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    pips&peeps :

Quote:I have buffs, wheatens and BCM from Gary. His marans are my favorite. HUGE!

Gary's buffs are related to mine also.​

Did you two swap buffs?

I just realized my favorite roo from his eggs has a strange comb. Its like a pea comb with only the middle ridge. Or maybe a rounded-point single comb. Odd! They are really friendly birds though. Right up there with the lavs. Glad I finally took the plunge into this color [​IMG]

You should bring it in October! Put it in a jewel box surrounded by cotton fibers of irridecent pearl whilte with a glass cover! That will peek interest in our breed!

[​IMG] You really thought about that one- lol!​

9. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Quote:I was hoping for any color pullet. I think that maybe this breed just wasn't meant to be. I only got two chicks out of the first six I ordered because they arrived in an ice storm. The second batch of twelve were developing beautifully until day 15 or so. Later I discovered that my cheapo hydrometer wasn't even CLOSE to accurate. I dehydrated those poor babies. [​IMG] These two were the only ones to survive that hatch. All four are boys. They are beautiful, sweet boys, but I would love them SO much more if they could manage to produce a nice, blue egg for me. Sigh.

Oh I feel ya! Its taken me FOREVER to get a small flock of wheatens together. And I am buried in roos [​IMG] I have a few chicks ordes to fill, but after that I bet we can get a pullet or 2 for you somehow.

I would LOVE that. I just need to stay far away and you just need to tell yourself that whatever you are hatching is not for me, and I'm sure you'll hatch lots and lots of girls. [​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    ok, I've decided my blue wheaten roo has gone retarded [​IMG] I collected eggs from my black ameraucana pen and put them down to do something real quick and my blue wheaten roo(free ranges) calls his girls over and they started eating my eggs [​IMG]
    since that day I haven't gotten ANY blue eggs from my free range group, only marans eggs. I caught them in the coop yesterday, splash ameraucana on the floor getting ready to lay.....roo and 2 other ameraucana girls waiting....I grabbed the egg before she turned around. I think they have been eating all of them since they are obviously still laying [​IMG] I will be sending him off to freezer camp soon and the girls will be going elsewhere if I don't start getting some eggs...I don't sell hatching eggs, only have eggs for eating for us and my mom. mom keeps asking where her eggs are, she ends up getting the ones from my other pens and I buy store eggs [​IMG] darn dude is def gonna go soon...too bad cuz he is such a nice guy....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by