Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    <3ChickenForever :

Quote:Where we gott her we were told she was an ameraucana.. maybe she's a mix between and EE and an ameraucana [​IMG]

It wasn't my intention to be short with you, I just was at work earlier when I typed my response and didn't have much time to be on the forum. Like SteveH mentioned, she very well could be a Lavender Ameraucana, with the possibility of what looks like some red leakage on her breast and shoulders.​

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    pips&peeps :

I have very litte to no John B lines, I do have more blood from Pauls lines though.

The rest of the original birds I purchased were stock that traced back to Cree lines.....they no longer breed this variety.

That's good to know, thank you. [​IMG]

3. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I am new to raising pure ameraucanas. I have 3 two day old blacks, 1 four week old blue, and 1 four week old black, with some interesting white feathers on the undersides of the wing feathers...Not sure what that would be considered. They did not come from a feed store, but from malapine farms in VA, and the older 2 from debbie abbott in NH. Now my question is that, I have 4 real lovely EE hens, who I really enjoy the looks of. If I were to allow my EE's and my pure Ameraucanas to live and breed together, would their offspring just be considered EE's? I think it is smarter to just stick to the pures, but my EE's are really quite striking. Thanks for any input!

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Yes, if you breed pure Ameraucana to EE the results are still EE, at least until you do several generations of hard culling and breeding to get the offspring to breed true, resulting in recognized variety, slate or black legs, correct comb and body type, and blue egg color. [​IMG] Or just breed EEs and enjoy them!

The black chicks white feathers will go away, many of them have that, it's normal. [​IMG]

5. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Where we gott her we were told she was an ameraucana.. maybe she's a mix between and EE and an ameraucana [​IMG]

It wasn't my intention to be short with you, I just was at work earlier when I typed my response and didn't have much time to be on the forum. Like SteveH mentioned, she very well could be a Lavender Ameraucana, with the possibility of what looks like some red leakage on her breast and shoulders.

Ya she is a lavender ameraucana I just didn't kno that part was important.

6. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Quote:Yes, if you breed pure Ameraucana to EE the results are still EE, at least until you do several generations of hard culling and breeding to get the offspring to breed true, resulting in recognized variety, slate or black legs, correct comb and body type, and blue egg color. [​IMG] Or just breed EEs and enjoy them!

The black chicks white feathers will go away, many of them have that, it's normal. [​IMG]

Ok thank you so much! I think I will separate them, and keep them pure. Thanks for clarifying! Who knows, they all may be roo's and I will be back at square 1 again. [​IMG]

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA

It wasn't my intention to be short with you, I just was at work earlier when I typed my response and didn't have much time to be on the forum. Like SteveH mentioned, she very well could be a Lavender Ameraucana, with the possibility of what looks like some red leakage on her breast and shoulders.

Lavenders cannot have red leakage, it would be diluted to a creamy gold color.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    pips&peeps :

Quote:It wasn't my intention to be short with you, I just was at work earlier when I typed my response and didn't have much time to be on the forum. Like SteveH mentioned, she very well could be a Lavender Ameraucana, with the possibility of what looks like some red leakage on her breast and shoulders.

Lavenders cannot have red leakage, it would be diluted to a creamy gold color.​

Thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure......I say she is just straight up EE.....not to be mean.

9. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Lavenders cannot have red leakage, it would be diluted to a creamy gold color.

Thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure......I say she is just straight up EE.....not to be mean.

The owner said it was a lavender ameraucana... I'm just a bit confuseedd. But also thanks for the thoughts.

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    well don't be confused it happens to everyone. It happened to me too when I first started and I had that EE until she died of natural causes. You were just sold an EE as an Ameraucana. it happens more than you will ever know! She is very pretty just not an Ameraucana

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by