Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I have 3 - 11 week old blue cockerels including one that is pretty light (my avatar, in fact, whom I adore). I'll try to get some updated pictures to share.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Quote:I think it means you have an empty pen that needs some new occupants.........

[​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I swear- every chick that I don't sell as a day old turns out to be a roo. [​IMG] I think I have 20 lav roos right now, zero pullets.

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I think I have 20 lav roos right now, zero pullets.

[​IMG] I understand how that goes! A few years ago, I got 7 chicks from a breeder...all turned out to be cockerels. When they were 2 weeks old I thought they looked "roo-ish" and my neighbors said, "Oh, no way--you're imagining things!" So, I figured the next year I should definitely buy get some more chicks because the odds of that happening again had to be low....and it was.​

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:I swear- every chick that I don't sell as a day old turns out to be a roo. [​IMG] I think I have 20 lav roos right now, zero pullets.

Wish you were closer. It's looking more and more like I have three pullets and no roo. [​IMG]

6. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so i'm have some troubles with the color creations of my breeds if i were to breed them. http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
    I
    was messing around with color creations on here and what wasn't making sense was a few of them, They are white and lavender = 100% black, white and blue = 50% blue 50% black, splash and white = 100% blue, and blue and lavender = 50% blue 50% black. It seems like the white and lavender are recessive to the black, so how do they produce black when mixed with each other and other colors? Does anyone know if there are multiple genes controlling color?

7. greenpixies

greenpixies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Natchitoches, LA
    Thanks Model A,

In my many months of research I had read about the easter eggers, but was unclear about what/who they are. So, just so I understand, and not to be totally stupid and nieve, but are you saying that easter eggers are sold as ameraucana's by big suppliers like Ideal Poultry, and perhaps others? I still want to post the pictures here once my husband helps me to upload, just to be sure, as you-all are the experts. Once you guys weigh in on the photos and agree they are not ameracaunas I will be happy to bounce to the EE thread.

I'm too fond of these chicks to be disappointed: they're cool and gorgeous whatever they are! Thanks again for the critical input!

Photos to come, hopefully tonight! :)

8. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY

Wish you were closer. It's looking more and more like I have three pullets and no roo. [​IMG]

I could use a Lav Roo as well. Why are you so far away with them??? [​IMG]

9. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    Hi,
    I am new to Ameraucanas this year and bought some Black and Blue chicks from a breeder. What I am wondering is, what color rooster do I want to keep? I love both colors! I sold some roosters and ended up with 2 blue hens and 2 Blue roosters and one black rooster.
    Do I need to keep the black rooster in order to hatch out any blacks next year? He's the only black I have! But I think the blue is prettier.
    How common is it for 2 roosters to get along and live together?
    What results will I get from breeding a blue to blue? Black to blue?
    Thanks so much for any responses!

[​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Your black bird appears to have yellow skin. It could be the picture, but please pick him up and look at the pads of his feet to see what color they are. If it is yellow, your birds are mixed and would be considered easter eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by