Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    Ugh! I just posted to the other spot where I am asking color and gender.
    In case you don't look there, I mainly said:
    I bought these from a breeder off the Ameraucana website and we discussed EE's and how I could get those anywhere around here but I wanted Ameraucanas and that's why I contacted him from the Ameraucana website! I drove a few hours to meet him so we wouldn't have to ship and lose chicks early last March.
    Why would a "supposed" reputable breeder on the breed's website do something like let his birds run with something else and sell as purebreds? [​IMG]

I checked foot bottoms on all and have one blue hen and one blue cockerel (The one I posted on the other post asking color) with slate grey legs and feet all the way through. Can I trust from that, that they are Ameraucanas?
    In the future, I should also check feet bottoms and that will tell me if they are pure or not?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:What color are the others? Are they yellow?

3. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    Yes. [​IMG] The rest have yellow spots on the pads.
    Just one blue hen and one blue rooster are slate grey. Would that mean they are purebreds?

4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:well that sucks eggs....
    If you specifically asked for Ameraucana and bought from a registered Ameraucana breeder and got EE instead, I would tell somebody about it. I know I would not be stoked if that happened to me. Maybe you should let the club know what happened. Maybe it was a throw back??

edit: Oh looks like you did let somebody know already. [​IMG] Just read your other post. Sorry that happened to ya.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ok, I'm new to all this, so I'll thank you all ahead for your patience! So, yellow or yellow spots on the bottom of the feet mean EE's? I bought 3 pullets from a local breeder. He was selling these girls because they were "clean faced". He called the EE's because of that. Two have since grown the beards and one is completely clean. They are all wheaten in color. The one clean faced has slate legs and feet. The other two, who now have the beards, have blue legs and feet. They were all from the same hatch, and are now 11 weeks old. Is it typical that they can be born clean and grow the beards later? And are these purebred or EE's? I can post pictures, if anyone is interested! Thank you!

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Blue and slate are essentially the same thing. They can go through stages as youngsters where they appear to be clean faced (during adolescence) but they really aren't. [​IMG]

7. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I swear- every chick that I don't sell as a day old turns out to be a roo. [​IMG] I think I have 20 lav roos right now, zero pullets.

I hatched out some super rare eggs for a friend and was really excited to get 6 chicks from 10 eggs. My friend really just wants a roo and guess what...... ALL PULLETS .

As for the B/BW I have no idea how many I have hatched, but all I keep turn out to be roos [​IMG] . Still waiting for a hen.

8. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks for the info! By slate, I meant gray legs! I'll go snap some photos and see what you all think. Either way, I love these little girls. They are so sweet and I love their coloring! I cant wait to see their eggs![​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I swear- every chick that I don't sell as a day old turns out to be a roo. [​IMG] I think I have 20 lav roos right now, zero pullets.

I hatched out some super rare eggs for a friend and was really excited to get 6 chicks from 10 eggs. My friend really just wants a roo and guess what...... ALL PULLETS .

As for the B/BW I have no idea how many I have hatched, but all I keep turn out to be roos [​IMG] . Still waiting for a hen.

ok phage, what kind of super rare eggs you be hatchin? [​IMG]

10. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by