Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

they are beautiful.I have an EE rooster that looks a lot like the one you have. he is the only EE I have.I am not sure if he is a pure Americauna or just an EE.I am confused by that too.I can tell you that he was sold to me as an Americauna.You have some nice chickens and I hope you find the info you are looking for.Sorry couldn't be more help.
It's ok, a guy from a hatchery here came by and looked at them. He said they are wheaten ameraucanas. He had a book with him and also told me to look on web at the difference between Ameraucanas and EE's. EE's don't have a dark striking beard and I think the colors are richer/bolder on an Ameraucana. Notice the diff in yours and mine, beard and color and maybe even the tail feathers. Also, when I looked up wheaten Ameraucana, I saw one that looks just like my Girtie (1st) pic. I see you also have buff orps
1f603.png
I do too! Oh and I took a pic of my Ollie yesterday(white amer). What other breeds do you have? I have 14 different breeds
1f60a.png
and want more!!

No. There is not a single Ameraucana pictured on that page (2166). None.

Also- it is very strange that a person from a hatchery would come to a residence with a backyard farm. They have very strict biosecurity, and are usually banned from returning to work for two weeks after such an incidence.
We have several friends that work for the big Hubbard plant/hatchery/poultry houses in our town. They are not allowed to come to our farm and we are not allowed to sell birds at the local feed stores because they are also customers there.

Last edited:
No. There is not a single Ameraucana pictured on that page (2166). None.   

Also- it is very strange that a person from a hatchery would come to a residence with a backyard farm. They have very strict biosecurity, and are usually banned from returning to work for two weeks after such an incidence.
We have several friends that work for the big Hubbard plant/hatchery/poultry houses in our town. They are not allowed to come to our farm and we are not allowed to sell birds at the local feed stores because they are also customers there.     
And I never said he "worked" there. Pardon me for not being more specific. Here let me try again. A friend of a friend, who was at the hatchery/farm/feed supplier (the owners have all 3) came over when he left there and looked at my chickens.
And I don't know what you looked at? I simply searched images of wheaten Ameraucana chickens on Bing, and saw dozens of pictures. I was simply seeking help from someone with knowledge of breed types to eliminate my confusion from 1 telling me this breed and another telling me that breed. At this point I don't care, I love them no matter what breed. I am continuously expanding my chickens house/condo/subdivision/palace, and adding new faces to the family with every expansion, providing them with best I can and LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE, HUGS AND KISSES! So that everyone of them feel like they live in paradise, and probably do compared to most chickens living conditions. I am still learning about breeds. All we ever had when I was a child were the basic yard chickens. As an adult I have dealt more with raising quail, but that has extremely changed!! I have a new found extreme interest, passion and love for chickens. They are very unique, inquisitive, friendly, lovable and funny little creatures. I will learn more as I go and from now on I will seek information from a book, the old school way.

No. There is not a single Ameraucana pictured on that page (2166). None.   

We have several friends that work for the big Hubbard plant/hatchery/poultry houses in our town. They are not allowed to come to our farm and we are not allowed to sell birds at the local feed stores because they are also customers there.     

the Hatcher part tells me they are Easter eggers.

the part about EE not having dark beards is not true either. I can't tell you how many roos on the Easter eggers thread are named black beard.....I had one too.

I totally understand the confusions between Easter eggers and Ameraucanas. I too was in your shoes. once you understand the key differences you can spot an EE a mile away. your roo is an Easter eggers not a wheaten.

where did you get.him from? that will answer most of your question. if it was a hatchery EE if you got him from someone else did they sell them as Ameraucanas? Did they tell you what colors they were? Ameraucanas breeders sell specific colors and know the colors and tell the customers what they are getting.

I loved Easter eggers I just don't have room for them anymore.

Last edited:
At this point I don't care, I love them no matter what breed. I am continuously expanding my chickens house/condo/subdivision/palace, and adding new faces to the family with every expansion, providing them with best I can and LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE, HUGS AND KISSES! So that everyone of them feel like they live in paradise, and probably do compared to most chickens living conditions.

First off, I'm really happy you are trying to give your chickens a good life; however, if you asked a chicken if they like being hugged and kissed, I think you would find they do not and only allow it because they are forced to. If you truly wanted the best for your chickens, I think you would not maul them.

Here is a link to pictures of the acceptable colors of Ameraucanas from the Ameraucana Breeders Club website:

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Your birds are not wheaten colored. Have a look at the pictures that show the color patterns for chicks, males and females.

Explore ABC's web site. It will discuss the origin of the breed as well as a discussion on Easter Eggers under the FAQs section.

Being a pure bred is more than just looking like that breed. The genetics must be there to breed true as well. If you don't know they are pure breds, then they are likely not. A breeder of pure breds knows what they have and you will be told what you bought.

Almost every book I've looked at, at the book store, has had incorrect info for ameraucanas and araucanas. When I've looked at books on sheep, it's the same for Jacob sheep. My conclusion since the wrong info is usually the same is that they just copy from each other, hatchery web sites, and google search. A few of the books have had pictures of EEs listed as ameraucanas and araucanas. Apparently tufts are even more confusing to them.

I blame the hatcheries for the issues. They sell birds saying they are a breed and they aren't. Even my light brahmas from the hatchery only bear a passing resemblance to actual well bred birds. My husband was shocked at seeing the difference at a show. I swear they cross everything with production reds and whites to make them lay more eggs.

I won't buy from a hatcheries anymore just because I'm tired of all the reproductive issues. I'm wondering how many I'm going to lose after molt this year. I already lost a POL brahma and 2 two year old EE hens to internal laying this year.

Here's our Splash Wheaten roo, I have been told he's not up to standard though. Any elaboration on this would be welcomed. I just lurk on here to learn really! Signature Feathers had some good info on their webpage when I was looking.

What would a splash wheaten rooster look like?  I've done internet searches, but didn't trust the experience/knowledge of the people posting any pictures I did find.  Is there a picture somewhere?  Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom