Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

So, before judging, I can handle my bird and make sure feet are clean and feathers arranged and shaving/sawdust out of feathers?

Can I remove manure throughout the day?

I had thought that I read that once the birds are placed in their cages, I couldn't touch them. I think I read somewhere that it had to do with the possibility of another competitor messing with birds that were not theirs. These are small, local shows as far as I know--at least two are small.

Thanks so much for your insight. I'm sure once I get to the show and go through it once, it will all be very obvious. The two show chairmen/women of my first two shows were very friendly and helpful. I suspect showing poultry at these small local shows will be a lot of fun and not as serious and cut-throat as showing dogs can be.
You can do anything you want with your bird until they 'ribbon off the area your bird is in' for Judging ..... no one except judges and show personnel can enter the taped off area unless permission is given by show officials until judging is over and ribbon is taken down .
You do need to watch your birds from a distance when not working with them .... it's unusual to have someone bother your birds but can happen(had it happen to my birds and person swapped my bird over to his cage switching birds while comparing the two/lol/ .... i just went to the officials and told them and they corrected it)(i knew the person that did this was medicated for bad back problems so i asked for nothing to be said or done in that regard) .
And there has been instances of theft . I'm not paranoid just prepared & cautious .
As You say this will be second nature to you soon . I wish the very best for You .
We also show dogs (25 yrs) .

So, before judging, I can handle my bird and make sure feet are clean and feathers arranged and shaving/sawdust out of feathers?

Can I remove manure throughout the day?

I had thought that I read that once the birds are placed in their cages, I couldn't touch them. I think I read somewhere that it had to do with the possibility of another competitor messing with birds that were not theirs. These are small, local shows as far as I know--at least two are small.

Thanks so much for your insight. I'm sure once I get to the show and go through it once, it will all be very obvious. The two show chairmen/women of my first two shows were very friendly and helpful. I suspect showing poultry at these small local shows will be a lot of fun and not as serious and cut-throat as showing dogs can be.

You can do anything you want with your bird until they 'ribbon off the area your bird is in' for Judging ..... no one except judges and show personnel can enter the taped off area unless permission is given by show officials until judging is over and ribbon is taken down .
You do need to watch your birds from a distance when not working with them .... it's unusual to have someone bother your birds but can happen(had it happen to my birds and person swapped my bird over to his cage switching birds while comparing the two/lol/ .... i just went to the officials and told them and they corrected it)(i knew the person that did this was medicated for bad back problems so i asked for nothing to be said or done in that regard) .
And there has been instances of theft . I'm not paranoid just prepared & cautious .
As You say this will be second nature to you soon . I wish the very best for You .
We also s
might also add that most shows provide feed and of course water ..... some shows have allowed young members(or they might have took it upon themselves) to go around and feed everyone's birds .... i don't want my show birds to have any food before judging/showing at all , so i keep a close watch for that !!(it can happen in the blink of an eye) lol . I bring my own feed and water

might also add that most shows provide feed and of course water ..... some shows have allowed young members(or they might have took it upon themselves) to go around and feed everyone's birds .... i don't want my show birds to have any food before judging/showing at all , so i keep a close watch for that !!(it can happen in the blink of an eye) lol . I bring my own feed and water
I like to try and "hover" nearby but outside of the taped off area to listen to the judge(s) as they go through the rows. It's hard to find out why certain birds placed higher or lower than our less experienced eye and even harder to get to a judge afterwards to ask. This way you can learn more of what they are looking for. Clean calm birds will always show better. Most experience showers, like posted before, will not feed them close to judging so they don't soil the cage before judging. Most of all,,,best advice,,,Have fun!

Last edited:
You are given a schedule when you arrive and check in. It will let you know when your birds are going to be judged. Keeping the cage clean is pretty important IMO and just looks nicer. I add more bedding just before showing since the birds remove so much by just scratching. I do not feed my birds till they are done. I do clean my water cups and make sure they have clean water. I check all feet and legs before they close off judging area.
Judging is close to dog shows

I need some input from y'all .... My neighbor's dog ripped open my breeding pen ( the one with my best stock in it ) and killed all twelve birds. We found him eating my best rooster . When the sherifs deputy and animal control got here the dog was still dining on the rooster. It took me two years of breeding and gathering a gene pool from seven states. I hatched and culled hard to get that breeding stock. So.....For damages I asked my neighbor to pay $1200. Because I have lost all that time and money and now I have to start over and loose money while I'm working my way back to where I was with my beautiful ameracaunas. At first my neighbor agreed to pay these damages. Then, he turned it in on his home owners insurance ...... They want to pay us $16 a bird. I'm going to have to take this guy to court and I wonder if anybody else has had to go through this nightmare?

I need some input from y'all .... My neighbor's dog ripped open my breeding pen ( the one with my best stock in it ) and killed all twelve birds. We found him eating my best rooster . When the sherifs deputy and animal control got here the dog was still dining on the rooster. It took me two years of breeding and gathering a gene pool from seven states. I hatched and culled hard to get that breeding stock. So.....For damages I asked my neighbor to pay $1200. Because I have lost all that time and money and now I have to start over and loose money while I'm working my way back to where I was with my beautiful ameracaunas. At first my neighbor agreed to pay these damages. Then, he turned it in on his home owners insurance ...... They want to pay us $16 a bird. I'm going to have to take this guy to court and I wonder if anybody else has had to go through this nightmare?

Did you actually get an offer from the insurance company? If not my guess is the neighbor is jerking your chain. In either case hope things work out for you.

Last edited:

You are not going to get that kind of money for chickens. You need to show what a Show Bird would sell for at the age your birds were but you will not get anymore.... they are Livestock under the law and you will not get TIME and EFFORT and any other loses. Sorry.

You are not going to get that kind of money for chickens. You need to show what a Show Bird would sell for at the age your birds were but you will not get anymore.... they are Livestock under the law and you will not get TIME and EFFORT and any other loses. Sorry.
I agree. I had a someones dogs kill all but 4 of my chickens and didn't get a dime from them. I that time I only had about 40, but many were SQ. I had a few hundred wrapped up in just the cost of the birds. The people didn't want to keep their dogs in the house until the sheriff told them that I could sue them. Funny how they changed their attitude real quick, It wouldn't of been worth time and money especially when I would of been lucky to $200 for all my lost livestock. Hope you get every thing straitened out. Sorry about your birds

Having dealt with a lawsuit, I can assure you that it is something you probably want to avoid. They are stressful. You can sue in small claims court.

If you are already dealing with the insurance company, you need to make a claim for the damages. You basically need to submit in writing your losses and since you believe the birds worth more than just regular chickens, you need to support that claim. As someone said, your blood, sweat and tears won't count. The amount you will get will be what the birds are worth in the open market. Has another breeder or judge seen the birds? If so, they can give you an opinion in writing of their value and quality.

I just purchased some show quality Cochin pullets from a breeder/judge. I paid less than $100 for them. I was in contact with another highly respected breeder/exhibitor and was quoted $30 for a pullet she had for sale. This bird would have been a bird she was growing out to show, but for whatever reason, decided she would part with it. I suspect your birds are worth from between $16 and $100 each. If you are asking for more than the going rate for "chickens," you will need to furnish proof they are worth that. The insurance company's offer of $16 is their starting offer.

Good luck. Lawsuits make for bad relations between neighbors and that has a value, too.

Back
Top Bottom