Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Now that I see it's real easy to load pics (yay!) I have a question regarding a black cockerel I hatched in 2013.
During weekly inspections I noticed something odd about his right wing. At first I thought it was split wing, but all 10 primaries are accounted for, as well as the axial feather. Yet still the wing doesn't look quite right to me when folded up. Could this still be split wing? Are there many variations or is it always really obvious? I don't want to cull him yet in case I'm mistaken.

There it may still be an EE, but where I live at they're considered EE if an Ameraucana (or another Ameraucana cross) is cross bred with another breed. Mixing a pure Ameraucana with another pure Ameraucana is still an Ameraucana, it doesn't make another breed of bird regardless of their color. If that was the case a Blue Ameraucana is not a true breed of bird since if you breed 2 blues you can get a splash. EE's here can lay different colored eggs aside from a shade of blue like I said before which is why they're named an Easter Egger. In the USA it may be different, I don't know, I don't live there, and I don't know about the rest of Canada either, just here....that's why I had asked my original question....lol

It's the same in my neck of the woods. Ams are a breed with different varieties, EEs are crosses and mutts.

Where it gets confusing is when people cross the different colours and create 'pure' birds that don't match the correct genotype for their variety.

Both are fun though. :)

Agreed
smile.png
Chickens in general are fun...lol

Last edited:
To the person with the chick that has the odd feathers. What are you feeding your peeps?

The place/person/yourself, the blacks that were used. Do they have any lavender in there background. I had a chick a couple of tears ago where there were some black splits bred with blues. I got chicks that had that look to them.

So, all you ameraucana pros..... This is the only cockerel I kept out of the 6 I had. Am I even on the right track here? I'm fairly new with AMs, so I'm trying to see if my idea of a good bird fits the norm for this variety. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

To the person with the chick that has the odd feathers. What are you feeding your peeps?

The place/person/yourself, the blacks that were used. Do they have any lavender in there background. I had a chick a couple of tears ago where there were some black splits bred with blues. I got chicks that had that look to them.

I was thinking the same thing--the feathers look like the awful feathers a lot of lavenders have. Is it a lavender? I don't see any splashes of color on the bird.

I have. Chicken that looks like that, feather wise. She is an extremely poor bred blue. She has always been healthy, but a bit behind the others in growth. She is over a year now. She doesn't way what she should, but she was a runt

Back
Top Bottom