Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Can anyone tell me if this is a he or she I was told it was a hen but she sure makes a lot of crowing noises in the morning

Most definitely an Easter Egger cockerel ........

hcammack,

Very nice black LF Ameraucanas.  I like the blacks because the hawks generally don't bother them.

CityGirlintheCountry,

Very nice blues and blacks. 

specklehen,

Like you splash and last blue hen. 

Harry

Keep the thread alive!

I know this is an old post but is it true Hawks don't bother black chickens. I recently got black Ameraucanas on accident and was considering trading them (really want blue/splash). But we do have a hawk issue out here...

thanks. This will make three in a row. This one and one other were told to be hens

I'm sorry someone was either dishonest with you......or they had no clue. But he looks fairly mature to have known the gender for some time now. This is one of my EE cockerels......I have several and they will be processed soon......they're about 4.5 months now. The hackle and tail feathers are a dead giveaway with mine by 3 months.

I know this is an old post but is it true Hawks don't bother black chickens. I recently got black Ameraucanas on accident and was considering trading them (really want blue/splash). But we do have a hawk issue out here...

I have heard that also. I think it's because the hawk thinks they are crows. But, that said, I did have one black hen attacked by a hawk on a snowy day. He may have been really hungry. If you have hawks, get a big rooster.

Back
Top Bottom