Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My littles are growing so fast. They have great personalities and have become very friendly. Their coop is ready so out they go tomorrow, I think they will be happy to have the room. I’m still trying to figure out sex I think I have 4 cockerels and 4 pullets. View attachment 2152730View attachment 2152731View attachment 2152732View attachment 2152733View attachment 2152734
Usually once breast feathers are in sex is clear.

Dark/black breast = Male.

Unless you have some blue wheaten in there?

She said no...and that she had forgotten what I ordered (she has both types). But...the sweet lady is sending me 8 more eggs Wednesday...4 from her self blue pen, and 4 from her blue/black/splash. Hoping I can get better than 50% this time!
That’s good I would mark them right from hatch. I was just reading an article on either the Ameraucana alliance or Ameraucana breeders page about why you shouldn’t mix b/b/s and self blue in breeding because it will mess up the feather lacing on you blues.
50% on shipped eggs is really good hatch rate. I was going to get another order of eggs wheaten eggs but I think I’m going to hold off, it seems the USPS is overwhelmed right now and shipping has quite a delay.

Usually once breast feathers are in sex is clear.

Dark/black breast = Male.

Unless you have some blue wheaten in there?
Yes I have wheaten and blue wheaten. I have one that is wheaten and I can definitely see the pattern difference in him. But 2 others the chest is light but getting suspiciously red combs. It is amazing how much they change day to day. I’m use to my silkie and they mature so much slower.

That’s good I would mark them right from hatch. I was just reading an article on either the Ameraucana alliance or Ameraucana breeders page about why you shouldn’t mix b/b/s and self blue in breeding because it will mess up the feather lacing on you blues.
50% on shipped eggs is really good hatch rate. I was going to get another order of eggs wheaten eggs but I think I’m going to hold off, it seems the USPS is overwhelmed right now and shipping has quite a delay.

Thanks! It was my first hatch. I currently have 11 Ayam Cemani eggs running. Day 16. Their day 14 candling was excellent!...so I'm hoping for a good turn out.

I think I saw that article also. Which was weird because I'd seen another that said breed them to improve feathers. It's not a concern at the moment...I'm 6mos away from breeding any of them lol. I'll look much more deeply when it's closer to egg time.

Yes I have wheaten and blue wheaten. I have one that is wheaten and I can definitely see the pattern difference in him. But 2 others the chest is light but getting suspiciously red combs. It is amazing how much they change day to day. I’m use to my silkie and they mature so much slower.
True, I find blue and splash harder...since the black is washed out.

But it has been years since I have had blue or splash. I have bantam wheaten now.

Thanks! It was my first hatch. I currently have 11 Ayam Cemani eggs running. Day 16. Their day 14 candling was excellent!...so I'm hoping for a good turn out.

I think I saw that article also. Which was weird because I'd seen another that said breed them to improve feathers. It's not a concern at the moment...I'm 6mos away from breeding any of them lol. I'll look much more deeply when it's closer to egg time.
I’ve always read Black is used to improve self blue type or feather issues, self blue can caused shredded feather problems were the feathers look tattered. Just giving you a heads up, not just Ameraucana but a lot of people have ruined Blue pens by accidentally introducing self blue.

True, I find blue and splash harder...since the black is washed out.

But it has been years since I have had blue or splash. I have bantam wheaten now.
I would eventually like to hatch splash wheaten to go with the blue wheaten and wheaten. I know splash wheaten isn’t recognized but I love the look of them.

I’ve always read Black is used to improve self blue type or feather issues, self blue can caused shredded feather problems were the feathers look tattered. Just giving you a heads up, not just Ameraucana but a lot of people have ruined Blue pens by accidentally introducing self blue.

That was it!

I will absolutely remember that!

Back
Top Bottom