Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I am new to the bantam ameracucana's. I just purchased a Sero 20 incubator. I have a small pen of wheaton/blue wheaton's. I have 2 roosters a bw and a wheaton. I have 5 hens/pullets. Two are silvers that came from wheton/blue wheatons. Is it o.k. to breed these in the pen.

Congrats, Pips&Peeps! I know the chicks I hatched from you are gorgeous!
smile.png

What is BV? Best Variety?

Quote:
If you get silver from a wheaten , there's a silver in the wood pile . Silver and wheaten mixed will produce gold duckwing , or at least silver leaking gold , down the line somewhere ; its not a good idea .

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Just got back from the show in Monroe last night. My birds didn't do as well as they have over in Montana.

My black cock bird got beaten by my white cock bird. I haven't shown him before since he has been in the breeding pen. The black generally gets Best AOSB and sometimes Reserve Show. A white araucana won the class this time.

Anyway my white cock got Best of Breed and BV. My black cock got Reserve Breed and BV. I took some other varieties and they all got BV because they were the only ones there.

Royce's wheaten hen/pullet got BV in the wheaten varieties.

Congrats you have beautiful birds. You should be very proud of them.​

Thanks, guys!

Mahonri: Yes, I got all of my eggs from Wayne last year, but I guess that's the nature of hatching eggs - even in the best of flocks there will always be a few culls, and you won't know until they hatch. If you look close at the hen in the foreground, she technically has a beard & muffs, but tiny. I've heard (?) that means she only got one copy of the gene, so, in theory, I could breed her to a bird with full beard & muffs and 50% of the chicks would have full beards & muffs, but I don't have the capacity to hatch a lot of eggs at once, so I'll probably only incubate the eggs from the nicest 2. If I can find a Wheaten cockerel. Otherwise they'll all be making pretty table eggs...

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Just got back from the show in Monroe last night. My birds didn't do as well as they have over in Montana.

My black cock bird got beaten by my white cock bird. I haven't shown him before since he has been in the breeding pen. The black generally gets Best AOSB and sometimes Reserve Show. A white araucana won the class this time.

Anyway my white cock got Best of Breed and BV. My black cock got Reserve Breed and BV. I took some other varieties and they all got BV because they were the only ones there.

Royce's wheaten hen/pullet got BV in the wheaten varieties.

Congrats Jean​

Back
Top Bottom