Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I know that there are several people working on NEW colors of Ameraucanas. I'm working on creating 2 colors that don't already exist.

ya but it wrong for me to try to make my own

It's not wrong, it's just redundant. If you want to spend years raising birds that are not to standard to get to something that already exists- it's your time and money.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this
smile.png

I am also interested in the

Silver x black =
Blue x black =
Blue x white =

Thanks
Dawn

Quote:
There is nothing holding this breed back. The original colors still need work yet people keep saying we need new ones. The brown reds are hardly in existance right now and need lots of work. How about putting some of that energy into breeding them?

The ameraucana is one of the newest breeds admitted to the APA and if you do a little research you will find that we have lots of colors compared to some of the other newer breeds.

Also, there are lots of new colors being worked on:

lavender
black gold
birchen
mottled
blue duckwing
gold duckwing
mohagany

Quote:
Thanks for posting this
smile.png

Silver x black =
Blue x black =
Blue x white =

Thanks
Dawn

Blue x Black you will get a mix of blue and black the percentages are posted everywhere I don't know them off the top of my head. Silver and black is tricky because I've never done it my Jean (pips&peeps) has done it to improve her silvers. And I have no idea about the white and blue. Sorry I've not been much help

pips&peeps :

Quote:
There is nothing holding this breed back. The original colors still need work yet people keep saying we need new ones. The brown reds are hardly in existance right now and need lots of work. How about putting some of that energy into breeding them?

The ameraucana is one of the newest breeds admitted to the APA and if you do a little research you will find that we have lots of colors compared to some of the other newer breeds.

Also, there are lots of new colors being worked on:

lavender
black gold
birchen
mottled
blue duckwing
gold duckwing
mohagany

the brown reds are in real need of help. my hens color isn't great but they are the only brown red bantam ameraucanas I've ever seen in person in the 3 1/2 years I've had bantams! The buff bantams are in need of work too but there are some people working on them. Patty Pickard is crossing hers with Wheatens to get new blood. I have a trio that were crossed to get darker leg color. I'm getting ready to start hatching from them now. I mean new colors are really cool. Like I would like to work with the Mottled and Dun but the accepted colors come first.​

Quote:
Thanks for posting this
smile.png

Silver x black =
Blue x black =
Blue x white =

Thanks
Dawn

Blue x Black you will get a mix of blue and black the percentages are posted everywhere I don't know them off the top of my head. Silver and black is tricky because I've never done it my Jean (pips&peeps) has done it to improve her silvers. And I have no idea about the white and blue. Sorry I've not been much help

Ive crossed blues and blacks over a white rooster, ended up getting more blues and blacks, no whites. One splash chick out of 50 blue and black chicks I've raised. The white rooster had about three generation of white breeding (came from Mike Gilbert) and he did produce some awesome chicks. I had second generation of his chicks, all of them black and blues, no splash or whites. Not sure why it occurred.

Here are my hens and white roo that I used.

Hens were from Blehm lines and the white hens and roo were from Mike Gilbert lines (bought the trio from a guy in MO who bought the white trio directly from Mike Gilbert).

Ruzi.jpg

Paloma.jpg

SnowOwl1-06.jpg

BlueIris.jpg

Resulting chicks:
ChicksEggs009.jpg

Granddaughters:
DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Not sure how the buff color bled thru the blue after they turned two years old. I no longer have any of these Amer. bantams. The Black hens passed away and the original blue was sold as part of the flock dispersal.

Last edited:
I was notified that my lavender ameraucana chicks will not be coming.
hit.gif
I believe my blacks and silvers will be shipped, but I have asked to have him fill the order with wheaten since he doesn't have enough lavs to send.

Oh, well. I have been so excited about the lavender color. I have to rationalize this. Perhaps it is for the best. Let the breeders that know a lot more about it than I do work some more "kinks" out of the variety, and maybe I will end up with better lavs in the future.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom