Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I have seen that before. If a judge looks at it while he/she is judging and it holds it to one side for any length of time the bird will be DQ'd. If I see it move from one side to the other, but still looks like a wry tail I will note that on the coop card. The tail has to be straight when the bird is judged.

Walt

Thanks for the reply. Of my two BW Roos this bird is the better looking one so far. Would you refrain from using him to breed because of this?With that said he would have to look much better than the other one when he grown out, because the tail thing drives me nuts.

I wouldn't use him .

Walt

Quote:
I know - they are sooo pretty.
sad.png
Going to keep my goofy-combed guy no matter what though.

FOGELLY- I had a wheaten from some Meredith eggs that did the same thing. It was like the rudder on a ship- always flipping back and forth.

Quote:
The way I look at it, folks that already know it all - have perfect birds - and have nothing left to learn - they won't cough up the measly membership fee to be a part of the ABC or any group that requires something from them. They are likely only going to vent on "free" forums anyway since they are obviously above everyone else.
tongue.png
Furthermore, that sort of nonsense is likely just going to be completely ignored over there - or handled privately.

The thing that concerns me is that we don't want to make the ABC sound too elitist - thus my response. I believe we don't want to make folks that just have an Ameraucana or two in the backyard afraid to join in, afraid to show, afraid to strive for fabulous Ameraucanas, and afraid to ask questions of the folks there - even if their Ameraucanas aren't perfect. For every one of us that chimes in boldly on this thread, I bet there are 10 lurking in the background just taking it all in. (And perhaps even thinking many of us take this all WAY too seriously. ) I think we want to try to encourage them to participate and to make them feel welcome.

Great post!

(I'm one of those who is mostly a lurked here to learn--and I have thought "wow, and I thought horse people bickered a lot. ).
smile.png

I'm one of those folks with just a couple (or actually, 3) Ameraucanas.
smile.png
I still like posting and checking out this thread often because I learn something new almost every time I read it.
Here is a recent pic of one of my Am's. She is turning out quite nicely except for a few missing beard feathers. My Marans pullet likes to pluck them out.
hmm.png

80295_img_1179.jpg

I am downsizing my BBS flock. I will be selling 1 black rooster and 3 hens. I have 4 blue and 2 splash.
I want to keep my blue hen which is a pullet the rest are over a year old.

What other two should I keep?
How much should I sell for?

Quote:
Gorgeous!!! I'm really starting to fall for the white AM.s Wish I wasn't up to my legal quota...well....lets just say I'm only a little over my legally allowed # lol. But I'll definitely be getting one down the road. Thanks for sharing
smile.png

Look what I got!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

62282_popcorn.jpg

14 chicks hatched from Dipsy Doodle Doo eggs! Most are BBS Ameraucana. But she did sneak in some "odd". 3 Naked Neck Turkans!!
ep.gif
lol!!! Gonna have to go find a message thread to follow for them. I know nothin... lol

I bought 6 Wheaten Ameraucana from a breeder in May. They were about 2 weeks old at the time. As they grew, I noticed that 3 had beards and three did not. Is this something that happens occasionally with this breed? I am not extremely familiar with this breed. Luckily I ended up with 2 bearded hens and 1 bearded roo! (also 2 hens and 1 roo without beards)

79085_5geftwdw.jpg

79085_xwstz7ab.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, it happens. Clean faced Ameraucanas is the product of (sorry people!) irresponsible or too focused of breeding on one or just a few traits.

Clean Faced Ameraucanas pop up in most colors although I've yet to hear of it with Silvers and Brown-Reds. If your flock has even one clean faced bird, it means both parents of the bird were missing a beard/muff gene, and thus, probably half of the bearded birds in your flock are also missing it.

For some it can be tricky to breed out, most people just think culling out clean-faced birds do the trick. But, if you just want egg layers, it doesn't matter.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom