Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Looks like I will be getting Ameraucanas LF from John Blehm since his hatchery is 3 hours away and my GIRLFRIEND sent away for 25 chicks, 15 Buff and 10 his choice. I wanted just Blue and Blacks, but she leaped and we are splitting the order.

Can anyone here update me on BUFFS, what color eggs to expect and anything else about them? Don't suppose anyone actually talks to John and can get him to send us some blacks or blues on that order. She says he doesn't respond to emails, but could be her country internet connections just as well.

I appreciate any help and guess I will be signing up over at the breeders club for the membership.

Cheers all.
Bonnie
May be her internet? In my experience he responds to emails. I know he is a busy guy so do not expect novels from him but he will respond. lol

watership Welcome from a neighbor ! Most white Ameraucanas have recessive white gene and that is the cause of chicks being not white when born. Now I am not sure of the true action and cannot explain the genetics. As far as the general BYC flock it doesn't matter. But if you need to know the answer post under the genetic threads It is very interesting stuff but requires time to understand. Are planning on becoming a breeder ?
OK, thanks, I will ask on the genetics thread. I studied some genetics in school but don't remember much, it was so long ago (ahem)! Yes, I would love love to breed, but my hands are full right now with kids and their activities...

I set 18+ of my own girls' eggs. These are my birds from Peachick and birds hatched from her eggs. Of all the eggs I set, it looks like all are developing! Some were just over 3wks old! I say looks like because I can't see very well through some of those dark shells. I do know there are no blood rings and the yolks aren't solid anymore. YAY!

Maybe my first 3 days of temp issues were a God send...

Oh, and I have eggs from WhiteMountainsRanch that should be arriving tomorrow. The BW/W flock shall grow...!

(ETA: I mean the eggs were stored for just over 3wks before I set them)

Last edited:
I have a question... my Lav/Splits are about 2 months old now and just wanted to know when do most of you make your first cuts from the breeding pens and what do you base that on and at what age... subsequent cuts and what they are would be great too.

I would think these things first, but I am new and might be missing something.

Obvious stuff
Leg color
Pea comb
Beard and Muffs
Split wing
Eye color (when do you do that?)

Ok I know there is more my brain is just not working ... help a girl out with her first year breeding these beautiful birds.

Unless they are clean-faced or single combed, or some other deformity that is genetic, I keep them for at least 5 months.

I have never had to cull a lav for leg color- not sure why you would worry about that? Unless you are working on cuckoos or mottleds...

Have never actually seen split wing in an ameraucana either, only in other people's orpington pictures.

Sorry but leg color is very, very important. Sure it isn't too important of light blue vs dark blue but any yellow soles or truly white shanks - goners.

Of course leg color is important, but since when is it an issue in the lavenders? She brings this up alot and I wonder if she's picked up on something she saw in a cuckoo discussion.

Sorry but leg color is very, very important. Sure it isn't too important of light blue vs dark blue but any yellow soles or truly white shanks - goners.

I don't have that issue
bow.gif
. I do have one White Lavender (I know odd) and she has very pretty almost blue legs. Don't know if I should use her yet, but she has some killer good cheeks.

Pullet right?

That may be the case, confusion or relation of colors, but remember that anything can happen. Wheatens have been known to get feathered shanks.

Some Lavs out there are Orpington-like in type and have egg color issues so I wouldn't be too surprised to see white legs happen now and then. It is a dominant trait but not that easy to forget, and added that Lavs are E/E extended black which darkens white shanks to a slate-like color, . . . You see where I'm going?

I agree it's not a huge thing but should never be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom