Ameraucanas - Are these Roos or Pullets? Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HogbackMtnChickns, Jul 23, 2011.

1. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    I have one blue and one black ameraucana from Whitmore Farm. They are 6 weeks old. Can you help me decide? Are these pullets or cockerels?

Blue - "Lefty"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black - "Midnight"
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I wish i could help you. I didn't know about mine until he crowed. The ones that have turned out to be roos did have a red comb since they were about two weeks old.

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I am new but they all look like pullets to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:http://www.whitmorefarm.com/content/5088

The OP has real ameraucanas, not easter eggers. The breeder conforms to breed standards. The OP only has two ameraucanas, a blue one and a black one, the brown chicks are other breeds and not the focus of this topic [​IMG]

Anyway, the black one's comb IS pretty prominent and pink. I'd venture to guess the black one is a roo, and the blue one is maybe a pullet. Only time will tell.

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:http://www.whitmorefarm.com/content/5088

The OP has real ameraucanas, not easter eggers. The breeder conforms to breed standards. The OP only has two ameraucanas, a blue one and a black one, the brown chicks are other breeds and not the focus of this topic [​IMG]

Anyway, the black one's comb IS pretty prominent and pink. I'd venture to guess the black one is a roo, and the blue one is maybe a pullet. Only time will tell.

Just edited that sorry!!! Didn't catch the whole comments. Only remembered the pullet or roo part. Notice the solid color comment.

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    They're looking like pullets to me.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    blue is pullet and black a roo..The comb on the black one is very pronounced and wide right now and its pinking up pretty good.

8. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Black one looks like a roo, comb showing and those thick legs. Just my guess. My chicks like those that were roosters had the comb showing and the thicker legs at that age. Time will tell.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

10. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Thank you all for your thoughts! I am excited that Lefty could be a pullet. She is one of my favorites. When she came out of the shipping box, she had curled toes on her right foot. She was a little smaller than the other chicks, and couldn't keep her balance. We straightened her toes in 24 hours with the cardboard boot we learned about on BYC. She has been going strong ever since, and quickly caught up with the rest of the chicks.

Midnight is often bumping into the Welsummer roo, Ollie. We suspected that he was a roo. Thanks for the confirmation. Ollie has a much better temperment. We'll keep Midnight until s/he crows or legs an egg. If he is a boy, we will probably be rehoming Midnight.

The brown chicks in the photos are Welsummers. (I could have explained that better, sorry for the confusion). It is hard to snap photos without getting others in the flock, too.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by