Ameraucanas - Are these Roos or Pullets? Pic heavy

HogbackMtnChickns

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 21, 2010
New Castle, Colorado
I have one blue and one black ameraucana from Whitmore Farm. They are 6 weeks old. Can you help me decide? Are these pullets or cockerels?

Blue - "Lefty"
72371_p1010232.jpg

72371_p1010231.jpg

72371_p1010167.jpg

72371_p1010163.jpg

72371_p1010133.jpg

Black - "Midnight"
72371_p1010161.jpg
72371_p1010278.jpg

72371_p1010238.jpg

72371_p1010222.jpg

72371_p1010217.jpg

72371_p1010162.jpg

72371_p1010098.jpg

Last edited:
I wish i could help you. I didn't know about mine until he crowed. The ones that have turned out to be roos did have a red comb since they were about two weeks old.

Quote:
http://www.whitmorefarm.com/content/5088

The OP has real ameraucanas, not easter eggers. The breeder conforms to breed standards. The OP only has two ameraucanas, a blue one and a black one, the brown chicks are other breeds and not the focus of this topic
wink.png

Anyway, the black one's comb IS pretty prominent and pink. I'd venture to guess the black one is a roo, and the blue one is maybe a pullet. Only time will tell.

Quote:
http://www.whitmorefarm.com/content/5088

The OP has real ameraucanas, not easter eggers. The breeder conforms to breed standards. The OP only has two ameraucanas, a blue one and a black one, the brown chicks are other breeds and not the focus of this topic
wink.png

Anyway, the black one's comb IS pretty prominent and pink. I'd venture to guess the black one is a roo, and the blue one is maybe a pullet. Only time will tell.

Just edited that sorry!!! Didn't catch the whole comments. Only remembered the pullet or roo part. Notice the solid color comment.

blue is pullet and black a roo..The comb on the black one is very pronounced and wide right now and its pinking up pretty good.

Black one looks like a roo, comb showing and those thick legs. Just my guess. My chicks like those that were roosters had the comb showing and the thicker legs at that age. Time will tell.

Thank you all for your thoughts! I am excited that Lefty could be a pullet. She is one of my favorites. When she came out of the shipping box, she had curled toes on her right foot. She was a little smaller than the other chicks, and couldn't keep her balance. We straightened her toes in 24 hours with the cardboard boot we learned about on BYC. She has been going strong ever since, and quickly caught up with the rest of the chicks.

Midnight is often bumping into the Welsummer roo, Ollie. We suspected that he was a roo. Thanks for the confirmation. Ollie has a much better temperment. We'll keep Midnight until s/he crows or legs an egg. If he is a boy, we will probably be rehoming Midnight.

The brown chicks in the photos are Welsummers. (I could have explained that better, sorry for the confusion). It is hard to snap photos without getting others in the flock, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom