America is on Fire

Pics
The Salvation Army clothed my children within hours, when we had an apartment fire during the night. Then provided hubby and I shortly thereafter (next day) with 2 changes of clothes.

Edit: they also clothed everyone else in the unit/building. 1.5 months later they contacted us, to be sure we had what we needed, and provided us with a Turkey and misc groceries for Thanksgiving. The kids also were given new shoes and socks, we didn't ask for them. I love our S.A. here in Texas.

Last edited:
Would it be a idea, if we could start something going here to help people out that has lost so much. For a example finding a way to donate various items not being used from those who have not been so badly effected. Just trying to think how to help and hopefully some of you can come up with other ideas that could be of benefit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tag! Yeah, I think that items like dog or cat crates for small animals like rabbits, cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, quail, pigeons (idk how big peacocks, guineas, and turkeys are, but for young ones maybe) would be a great help for people trying to transport and contain their animals. Also pop up tents, puppy playpens, these things
brooder.jpg

Could be really helpful, as well as old leads and halters for horses, fencing material, etc. I don't know how we would go about setting something up for donations, though...either sending items or money to buy those items. There'd have to be some sort of hub thing that's licensed to distribute the items.

A few thoughts.... wood and paper products will very quickly become scarce, and the prices will sky rocket.

Check within your local communities to see if there is a collection site for the fire and/or hurricane victims. We could possibly drop items off to donate.

Things these people will need for themselves and their pets: blankets, pet foods, everyday toiletries for men & women, leashes & collars, lead ropes & halters, small/medium/large pet cages or crates, towels, old stuffed animals to comfort dogs & cats in the crates. Basically, try to think of the basic necessary things you would miss or need yourself, if you just lost everything. Donate them if you have extra. 😍
I heard recently that chapstick is the very first thing that runs out in both emergency & homeless shelters. Also feminine hygiene products...

The Red Cross has been wonderful in my part of Oregon. They filled a whole motel just with displaced families like ours and they brought meals TO OUR DOOR twice daily. We were allowed to go back home last night and have been blessed to have a home to go back to but there were other families who weren't so lucky and were getting news from neighbors that their homes had burned or were looted. Please, if you are able to donate, people need clothes, small toys to entertain their kids in hotel rooms (can't even take the kids outside because the air is so bad), pet foods, laundromat vouchers, pop top foods (who brings a can opener when fleeing a fire??), toiletries, etc. Most importantly people need kindness and patience. My daughter isn't used to needing help and had such a hard time accepting basic items when we were evacuated and one of the volunteers helped walk her through all of the supplies and made her feel so much safer and more comfortable. I hope that I am in the position to be like that lady one day.

I will try to connect with the community service leader at my school about doing a bake sale or something like that for a relief charity, but it will be hard to figure something out with all the covid precautions. I might get a friend on my street to do one with me, we can go door to door with orders one day, then bake everything specifically to order, than deliver maybe using a wagon or something. I just need to find a good charity.

Hi Folks, it's really thoughtful of you to start a thread on this issue. I'm in Oregon and volunteer regularly. The word is material donations are hard to organize, sanitize and distribute right now.

This link has an article and then an interactive map to see local charities
https://katu.com/news/local/want-to-donate-to-wildfire-relief-efforts-heres-how-you-can-help

This link is for fallen wildland firefighter's families:
https://wffoundation.org/

The Redcross is doing a bulk of the emergency housing right now so, monetary donations are good for that.

oregonfoodbank.org is also a place to start, they're really stretched thin right now.

Thanks for any and all help, it will be needed for many months to come, the fires are truly devastating.

Back
Top Bottom