American Beautyberry as nutrition?

rjl27

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
I live in NW Louisiana and have tons of American Beautyberry growing around my property. Lately I noticed my free-ranging rooster eating this plant. I've begun cutting it and feeding to my laying hens. They love it and eat berries, leaves, and stalks. I've reduced the amount of laying pellets I give them and have supplemented with the plant. My question: Is this a nutritious supplement for my chickens?

I live in NW Louisiana and have tons of American Beautyberry growing around my property. Lately I noticed my free-ranging rooster eating this plant. I've begun cutting it and feeding to my laying hens. They love it and eat berries, leaves, and stalks. I've reduced the amount of laying pellets I give them and have supplemented with the plant. My question: Is this a nutritious supplement for my chickens?
I have never seen y birds eat the plant. It grows here in the woods. Some people have reported eating it. Some say they feel nauseous but it does not appear on the toxic plant database.

I suspect it is fine for the birds but I would not rely on it as a major source of nutrition. Chickens are like kids. They will gorge on the tasty stuff first, even if it isn't the most nutritious. If they are getting some layer feed on the side then I don't think letting them have all the beauty berry they want is bad.

Fun note, beauty berry leaves can be crushed and rubbed on you and your chickens to repel mosquitoes, ticks, and mites.

also, welcome to BYC!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom