American Gamefowl Thread!!!!

Looks nice! Any idea on age?
it is kind of hard to tell with him because when I got him he was all busted up. he had been pen fighting and lost all but 1 toenail on each foot and broke both spurs. i am pretty sure he is over a year but not quite 2 years. judging by the size of the base of his spurs, his build, and the fullness of his feathers.

the other bird i have i know is not quite a year old and he is smaller than this one, spurs are there but not as big, and his feathers look kinda flat. .

Hey I was looking for some info on American gamefowl. I have a friend who has a very good bloodline( according to him). He is being stationed in San Diego and asked me to care for them for a year or do and just send him some of his bloodline when he finds an off base farm. They are lacy Roundheads he says he paid $2500 for trio 12 yrs ago. He has 5 stags and about 10 hens. I understand they must stay separated. I have a med sized farm and have raised fowl , cattle and horses so I'm not new to livestock. I was just wanting some advice on keeping them. I live in so Indiana. Feel free to pm if you would. Thanks in advance.

Hey I was looking for some info on American gamefowl. I have a friend who has a very good bloodline( according to him). He is being stationed in San Diego and asked me to care for them for a year or do and just send him some of his bloodline when he finds an off base farm. They are lacy Roundheads he says he paid $2500 for trio 12 yrs ago. He has 5 stags and about 10 hens. I understand they must stay separated. I have a med sized farm and have raised fowl , cattle and horses so I'm not new to livestock. I was just wanting some advice on keeping them. I live in so Indiana. Feel free to pm if you would. Thanks in advance.
wow that took some guts on his part . If that wete me I'd never let somone who knows about gamefowl raise anyvof my chickens and won't even let bigginners tuch my chickens . Why some might ask ? Bdcouse the bigginner dont know right from wrong on any step of raising gamefowl much less the breeding of it and the one who knows will probably start selling them at some point .

I have had chickens for a while but no experience with AG. I recently acquired these two (or they acquired me). The hen has been living in a barn that is in a field next to my place for 2 1/2 years that I know of. She recently decided to come visit my hens that were in the yard and put herself up with them that night. She seemed very healthy and laid 4 eggs in the first 5 days she was here.
The next day, a roo that I had been hearing for a few days in the distance crowing but getting closer and closer, showed up wanting in on the action. I threw a little scratch out and he came over the fence and made himself at home. (These guys fly well!) His saddle feathers are trimmed and his spurs are cut off.

Are these the right kind to breed together?
Is he a roo worth breeding forward?
Is the hen worth breeding forward?
Why are his feathers trimmed?
Why are his spurs cut?

Yea, probably American Games. You wouldn't know just by looking at them if they are worth breeding, I mean, they look good, but do they carry game traits? Are they at the top of the pecking order, I guess that would be a start. Breed them and see further with the young. I don't believe feathers are usually trimmed in this country for pit birds. But spurs are, he could've been fought, but no way of telling for sure. I trim all my birds spurs even though not fighting, they just get in the way and are dangerous. Good luck with them.

Yea, probably American Games. You wouldn't know just by looking at them if they are worth breeding, I mean, they look good, but do they carry game traits? Are they at the top of the pecking order, I guess that would be a start. Breed them and see further with the young. I don't believe feathers are usually trimmed in this country for pit birds. But spurs are, he could've been fought, but no way of telling for sure. I trim all my birds spurs even though not fighting, they just get in the way and are dangerous. Good luck with them.
Do "game traits" and "pecking order" mean, does he have an attitude? When he first came he got the whole place stirred up but has settled in nicely. There is a young Ameraucana roo in the pen next to him and they are getting along ok. I have seen them try to go at it though.

Well, they just need to be at the top of the pecking order, or constantly trying to get there before you intervene (in the case of two game cocks). Hens should be "tops" over non-game hens.
That's the best I can do, guys.

Johnny jumper

Back
Top Bottom