American Gamefowl

Driving them to our farm now. Coworker said they need wormed so I will do that tonight. Even putting them in the crate, the dominate hen was pecking at the little black one.... Poor girl can't get any luv
Good deal. Post some pics tomorrow if you can in the day light. Anyone in here will be able to help you if you have any other questions with them.

THANK YOU to everyone who responded. You've been very helpful... I have the girls settled into a stall for the night. I checked them over for lice and mites. Didn't see anything suspicious. I treated them anyway as a precaution. I wormed them and left some ACV water, as well. I will get some pictures in the morning when the lighting is better. I left the dog crate in the middle of the stall. They were all nestled together on top of it when I left. While the barn doors are open so my horses can get inside out of the wind, I feel like girls are pretty secure for the night. We do get stray cats, rats, and foxes around the barn. The girls are much smaller than I anticipated so I am a little worried that a cat might get them.

I'll let them out tomorrow when its daylight and we'll see if they choose to join the others or keep to themselves...

THANK YOU to everyone who responded. You've been very helpful... I have the girls settled into a stall for the night. I checked them over for lice and mites. Didn't see anything suspicious. I treated them anyway as a precaution. I wormed them and left some ACV water, as well. I will get some pictures in the morning when the lighting is better. I left the dog crate in the middle of the stall. They were all nestled together on top of it when I left. While the barn doors are open so my horses can get inside out of the wind, I feel like girls are pretty secure for the night. We do get stray cats, rats, and foxes around the barn. The girls are much smaller than I anticipated so I am a little worried that a cat might get them.

I'll let them out tomorrow when its daylight and we'll see if they choose to join the others or keep to themselves...
Hope all goes well. Keep us updated on how everything goes

They will probably stick together or explore their new surroundings.

They will probably stick together or explore their new surroundings.

I went to the barn this morning to feed everyone and noticed two of them were missing. My heart skipped a beat until I realized the missing two were hiding in the rafters.... 😂

I put some layer pellets, whole oats, and sunflower seeds in a big black feeder but they haven't seemed to figure out where the food is yet. They were more interested in scratching around in the shavings and old hay. 🙄

Here's a few pictures of them

20210115_085819.jpg

20210115_085808.jpg

I went to the barn this morning to feed everyone and noticed two of them were missing. My heart skipped a beat until I realized the missing two were hiding in the rafters.... 😂

I put some layer pellets, whole oats, and sunflower seeds in a big black feeder but they haven't seemed to figure out where the food is yet. They were more interested in scratching around in the shavings and old hay. 🙄

Here's a few pictures of them

View attachment 2490448
View attachment 2490450
How many did you end up getting?

Oh yeah, I suppose we forgot to tell you they can fly:lol: Sounds like they have found a place they likely will roost LOL

If that's where you want them to stay, leave them there for a few days before letting them roam a lot, then at night they should return.
I have a group that stays in the rafters of one of my runs at night. I let them loose during the day. They roam the field and woods but come back to their run for food/water periodically throughout the day. If I feel I need to lock them up for some reason, I just call them in with shaking a can with scratch in it - they usually stay within sight of the coop and house.

How many did you end up getting?

Oh yeah, I suppose we forgot to tell you they can fly:lol: Sounds like they have found a place they likely will roost LOL

If that's where you want them to stay, leave them there for a few days before letting them roam a lot, then at night they should return.
I have a group that stays in the rafters of one of my runs at night. I let them loose during the day. They roam the field and woods but come back to their run for food/water periodically throughout the day. If I feel I need to lock them up for some reason, I just call them in with shaking a can with scratch in it - they usually stay within sight of the coop and house.

We brought home 5 of them. All hens. She said they used to have 10, but many were killed by the neighbor's dogs. She had a rooster too but I told her we couldn't take him. He wasn't there when we picked up the hens so I don't know what they did with him.

Yeah, actually I think they would be happier in the barn rafters than in the coop with the others. I'm leaving them in the stall/barn and letting them explore as they feel comfortable. I left a bucket of water in there for them so it would be easy to find. Of course, the horses' water trough is also right outside the barn.

As I mentioned before, we get stray cats, rats, and foxes around the barn almost every night. I think they are probably safer the in rafters than in the stall but we'll see where they ultimately choose to stay. I'll just sit back and observe, see what they do.... They seem pretty flighty & skittish right now but I imagine that is to be expected with the new surroundings.

On a side note, the previous owner was feeding them whole kernel corn. I would imagine that's why they weren't laying? She said she feeds them layer pellets in the summer. Corn in the winter. I can't imagine that's got sufficient protein for egg laying but I kept my mouth shut.

Back
Top Bottom