American Gamefowl

Anyone ever come across this situation??? I have a broody game hen who is sitting on a clutch of eggs now for a couple weeks. Well in the last 4 days I've caught her eating eggs twice! I plan on culling after she hatches the chicks unless yall have any suggestions on how to proceed with her.

Thanks in advance for the help!
No but I’ve had a hen kill every chick as it hatched til I realized what was happening. I killed her on the spot and got rid of the remaining chicks too. I had a rooster in the pen with her and assumed it was him. I pulled the rooster and put him on a cord and sat back for an hour watching her and saw exactly what she was doing. If I were you I would put her down and start over with a different hen.

Generally how do you guys grade\price your birds? , I don't know if that's kinda a broad question,

I'm looking to maybe sell a few birds in the future and try something new. Does anyone sell hatching eggs, eBay? I figured I'd ask since y'all seem to have a good reputation. I plan on keeping them in somewhat of a free range environment.

I wouldn’t keep her around either... killing her chicks. Culling the her descendants is probably best.

I had a hen killing all the roosters, we separated her from them. She had her own pen at night, during the day free ranging was not an issue... but if she was in the big coop at night with the rest of the birds my old laying egg hen would kill the boys. At first we thought the juvenile roosters were feeling their oats and taking each other out we were all ready to blame the Asian mix Game birds for head hunting and seperate them... nope our elderly laying hen was killing the roosters if the showed any dominance. We kept her because separating her at night was easy enough, and she still laid nice blue eggs.

She along with a lot of other birds in my flock were stolen... go to work come home to find only my escape artist birds, or birds that will attack threats including danger stranger humans and my antisocial don’t like people birds around... all my big friendly looks like dinner birds or that’s a laying breed and little friendly easy to handle chickens gone. The *&$# got Marans, Brahmans, all but one Phoenix rooster, the EEs, the D’Uccles, the various Sexlinks... then hawks killed my only 2 roosters left after the theft my Phoenix Red Blue Breasted boy and my Asian mix Game Rooster...

So we are changing the whole set up... We have started tear down and getting all our rebuild supplies together... Goal super secure metal enclosures with Locks like you need a blow touch to get in! Done with the human thieves... the Dino Asian mix I know based on his personality attacked them (he never liked strangers) so they didn’t take him, the one Phoenix rooster was a handful too so I know they couldn’t catch him unlike the other roosters who liked treats, sitting on laps and generally didn’t mind being handled... free ranging is ending here because of hawks... though my remaining birds are doing fine... they all fly super good, don’t like stranger humans and have awesome survival instincts... my flock is currently all hens of the Phoenix, Ayam C, and Black Swedish breeds we hatched from hatching eggs.

We are also going to create a visual screen... try to hide the pens from human eyes. We are discussing other security measures as well. We have had people over the years steal all sorts of stuff including Sunflowers, digging up yard landscaping, children’s toys, and more... they just drive by get out of their cars and start taking what they want unless a neighbor stopped them... unfortunately all our old elderly neighbors died, current neighbors are yuppie suburban types and not country types... we used to have country folks around us, which means the current neighbors don’t sick their dogs on people or get their guns or even yell “Hey thief! Get the he$$ off my neighbor’s place!” while we are out. We will shout at intruders at our neighbors places, declare we are getting the gun, or offer to help a neighbor... city suburbanites types are a different generation and don’t do conflict I guess... or had enough life experiences outside of white collar jobs to have other coping skills. Just my thoughts on trying to understand them... they are not bad neighbors just no skills in dealing with conflict I think.

Sigh.

Got to go pick up more supplies for the Fort Knox build!

So done with people because of their panicky behaviors through the great quarantine in my area. Stealing our flock was not cool! The weird hoarding of TP, or buying stuff one needs to survive a black out snow storm in winter, Vegetarian food like beans or vegetarian hot dogs or fake bacon (during the great pork scare... we are vegetarian so most annoying), or Vinegar Potato chips and other random stuff... usually tied to a news report was annoying enough... but stealing our flock because one day the news said there would be a food supply chain issue on eggs or meat burns my biscuits big time. We are going to make it look like we have no chickens when all done... so no one driving by will see them. Immediate neighbors will know still, but they are not the thieves... we always share with them surplus food, most recently we have been distributing cows milk to all the families around us. I know we can not completely silence the birds but we did experiment with rooster collars and they do work... so every rooster we get in the future will be collared to help stealth them. The garden will be expanded around to help create a second visual block as well... the drive by $&#@ will probably steal vegetables next.

Generally how do you guys grade\price your birds? , I don't know if that's kinda a broad question,

I'm looking to maybe sell a few birds in the future and try something new. Does anyone sell hatching eggs, eBay? I figured I'd ask since y'all seem to have a good reputation. I plan on keeping them in somewhat of a free range environment.
That is a broad question. I suppose it depends on who you’re selling them to and the buyers expectations. If they aren’t game don’t sell them as gamefowl plain and simple.
Also depends on what you’re looking for. If you want birds that resemble gamefowl to turn loose in your yard you can find them just about anywhere.

That is a broad question. I suppose it depends on who you’re selling them to and the buyers expectations. If they aren’t game don’t sell them as gamefowl plain and simple.
Also depends on what you’re looking for. If you want birds that resemble gamefowl to turn loose in your yard you can find them just about anywhere.
It would be cool to have the real thing, But I don't think I'm up for building pens . I could just keep one rooster with a bunch of hens like lawn art and sell the rest.

You couldn't be more right , I hate to be a dishonest person. Can't stand for people intentionally misslabeling things, it ruins their reputation and just makes it that much harder for the serious buyers.

Back
Top Bottom