American Idol

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by halo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. wow, sounds like the competition WAS close. Though as much as we all enjoyed it, it's still hard for me to take any of the idol contestants - or their future careers - very seriously. I am not sure what it is that ruins it for me after the show ends, I guess its just the feel of manufacture and "industry" And honestly, with the viewership and ratings that idol gets, its probably more about the tv show than anything else. I mean anything else is ok, but I don't think Idol is too committed. I would LOVE to read their contracts though!!! You know they gotta keep their hooks into these hopefuls for a good while. Idol is making the most of their stars when they can. Bringing them back on tv to perform etc

eta
    "bewildered husband"
    hahahah
    thats a great way to put it!

AND
    Nancy, we oughta start a concert thread. Probably been to alot of the same shows. Tho, trying to remember who I saw at DAR. I remember George Mason U. Lenny Kravitz and Blind Melon. I bumped into Lenny while looking for the bathroom. hahah! We did Philly - large venues and some small. Electric Factory, The Tower, the TLA, the trocadaro. Baltimore - hammerjacks and large venues, 9:30 club in DC, gawd- New York mostly the garden, and medowlands some clubs to see eddie izzard...nevermind. this is getting too long hahahaha

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Songster

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    19 Entertainment most certainly has the first option on any artist that comes through American Idol. It would make sense that this would be a management and/or development contract allowing the company to negotiate the label deals and all of the activities of the artists for a period of time and, of course, sharing in the revenue in perpetuity.

Most artists have a manager (who is the business/often legal entity), an agent (who books the artist), a record label (who makes the record), a distributor (who gets the record out there), and a publicist. Then you have a producer who really is the main decision maker ("director") of the record.

I'm sure the winners have very little to say about their careers at least during the initial period of their contract. I am sure there are plenty of clauses that set forth what will happen if the company no longer wants to continue with the artist.

Several of the artists have lost their record deals, but I think that 19 Entertainment is still involved with them. Guess I'll have to poke around and find out about this now that you have me thinking about it.

3. TammyTX

TammyTX Crowing

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:There was a definite "something" there when they performed together. Wish I had TiVO so I could watch it again.

www.youtube.com ?

can't post without an edit!
    I saw an Aerosmith performance from 1974 I think! I love youtube. So much great old stuff!

....DIAL UP !!!! [​IMG]

eta: I'll have to wait 'till I get to work tomorrow.

4. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Songster

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I just found an old industry article that discusses the contract back in 2005, when Simon Fuller sold 19 Entertainment for over $100 million:

However, recent controversy has erupted about the standard American Idol contract, which binds all winners and selected other finalists for recording, management and marketing. In May 2004, Idol 2 runner-up Clay Aiken, the biggest U.S. star produced by Idol so far, extricated himself from the management and marketing portions of the contract. Since January 2005, rumors have swirling that Idol 1 winner Kelly Clarkson is about to follow suit. And, just last week, Idol 4 finalist Mario Vazquez quit the show for undisclosed reason, which now appear to be his unwillingness to sign that same contract.

As a result, 19 may be seeing one source of revenue -- the high commissions charged to successful Idol contestants -- dry up in the near future. However, American Idol continues to dominate U.S. ratings, as it heads for its second-straight #1 finish in both total viewers and Adults 18-49, so the loss of revenue at the back end may be offset by higher front-end earnings.

WOW...I also found some clauses from an article written right after Kelly Clarkson won the first Idol and it's a truly unconscionable agreement! You have to go to the third page of this link, but it's an interesting read!

http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/feature/2002/09/18/idol_contract/index.html

Total conflict of interest.....wonder if it's still this restrictive?

5. darn cool posts. have to get back later...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: