American serama thread!

Ok I got a serama roo that keeps biting me every time I pick him. But once I get him and hold him he settles down and enjoys being held. Is this normal for the breed? The biting? Do I just need to train him to not fear the hand?

Average cocopop, love to have an opportunity to compete against others top breeders cocopops at shows to measure my progress in breeding.
smile.png
The one to the right is so handsome! Wish I could get my hands on a cocoapop anytime :D Cluck-cluck: good luck and happy hatching!

Ok I got a serama roo that keeps biting me every time I pick him.  But once I get him and hold him he settles down and enjoys being held.  Is this normal for the breed?  The biting?  Do I just need to train him to not fear the hand?

How old is he? Sometimes they can get a tad too excited when picked up and bite like they were going to grab hold and "get their roo on" other times its a defensive thing [if you take him away from his girl friend] , sometimes its meaness. Need more info please......:)

A couple of my 11 week old boys will bite once or twice when I first put my hand in the cages with them, and they also stompstompstomp in place and spin around... I think they think I have a very pretty hand LOL! I ignore them, and recently they've calmed down a bit. They're not being aggressive, I don't think, because they love attention and will stand to be petted and loved on.

How old is he? Sometimes they can get a tad too excited when picked up and bite like they were going to grab hold and "get their roo on" other times its a defensive thing [if you take him away from his girl friend] , sometimes its meaness. Need more info please......
smile.png

I think he is between 3 months and 4months. I have picked him up and its usually the first time I pick him up for the day and he grabs skin in his beak. He lets go quickly and then just sits there and lets me hold him. I can even flip him on his back and he doesn't panic. He does have a girl friend and they are always together. They also happen to be hatch mates. The only 2 that made it. I did reach down to pick him up once and he was reaching back like he wanted to bite me. I have started hand feeding him treats. I am fairly new to chickens.

Thanks Livi! Yaay, I'm HOME!!!

YB192004, your birds are beautiful!

Breshcandra, I'm also new to chickens, and only have 5 soon to be 4 week old leghorns, and I just got reintroduced to them last night after a 2 week absence. Anyway, I do think, if we are picking them up from below in a cage, they could think we a hawk or something and panic. I think only my little girl was picking them up while I was away, and she's so slow and careful! Everyone else gets pecked, LOL. They do love tummy rubs and under wing scrubs though!

I think he is between 3 months and 4months. I have picked him up and its usually the first time I pick him up for the day and he grabs skin in his beak. He lets go quickly and then just sits there and lets me hold him. I can even flip him on his back and he doesn't panic. He does have a girl friend and they are always together. They also happen to be hatch mates. The only 2 that made it. I did reach down to pick him up once and he was reaching back like he wanted to bite me. I have started hand feeding him treats. I am fairly new to chickens.

One of my young boys, Eagle, started this. What I started doing was have a few freeze dried worms in my hand and he comes up and gets the treat. Then I can pick him up w/out the drama; no more biting. Maybe that would work for your boy?

Sheila :)

Back
Top Bottom