American serama thread!

Yah, I knew that going in, and had planned for loose air sacks and to try to treat them right, but we're at that age where our eyesight is going at close range, and dear hubby won't admit it, LOL, kind of funny the way he tries to read things, but nope, his eyesight is fine! LOL. I've been wearing readers for 10 years now, or go without glasses as I'm blind as a bat near sighted, and can still see clearly at 2" to 3" from my eyes, LOL.

Anyway, he seemed so positive that there were no loose sacks, I trusted him. But that's ok, we've already got another order in for October from someone much closer and maybe I'll catch you some day with some available, LOL. Hatching is just too fun to miss out on!

How many Serama eggs/chicks can a mid sized Serama hen cover? I know she could probably cover more, but I am hesitant to give her more than a few because she will have to cover the chicks after they hatch for several weeks...

Oh, I'm bummed. This is my first time candling and all but one has a detached air sack. My husband won't admit he needs reading glasses, as it was very easy to see. The one that doesn't have a detached air sack is actually developing, but none of the others are. I won't give up on them, but with completely detached air sacks, I don't have much hope :(
Oh, I am sorry :( I would just go ahead and order a new batch were I you, so you know you will have seramas soon!

I had 7 hatch out of my first bunch...I set 16, 5 were either clear or quit early, and 4 quit very late/pipped and died. I was thrilled with 7 out of that setting though. I have had a couple disappointing hatches since then, but hope the new bunch I have set and the ones I should get today, will end up better.

Don't expect much luck from shipped eggs, especially serama eggs. They can be difficult enough to hatch let alone being shipped. If you are looking for serama, better to start with adult birds and them hatch out eggs for you.
I know, that is why I was thrilled to have 10 of 17 that I set doing great on day 9. The other batch I ordered from someone else was only 1 of 9. I just hope they all make it!

Here are some of mine. All growers. cockerel:

a7a7yguv.jpg

cockerel?
e5yqu5eh.jpg

pullet:
e6ujatag.jpg

A frizzled young lady:
6azuhe7y.jpg

Last edited:
Ok here are all my seramas that I get to play with. They are still pretty young though. One of the young black/white males has started to crow and its sounds like musical bells or a screeching door.

The bird above is number #1 male

Number 2 male

Number # 1 female she has some red leakage on her chest

Number 2 female

Number 3 female All the above are hatch mates.

Number 4 female.

Number 3 male. He has been crowing for awhile now. As soon as I get the serama pen up they are all going in. I am waiting to see what the males look like before deciding who get to stay.

Back
Top Bottom