American serama thread!

Swrama eggs on lockdown, 3 (they werent laying well) So hopeing hoping hoping! I have not had a sucsessful hatch yet BUT These plus three more due in 6 days are squriming all about and going strong sooo.......
fl.gif
pop.gif

I have to share with you all - I came home from house sitting across the city for 2 weeks (DH and I live with my MIL so she feeds while we are away) and all my big girls started laying again!!!!!! Oh I'm SO extremely excited! Now to start checking fertility...

Unfortunately, Belle, my serama, has not begun laying again yet. Silly spoiled serama. But I supposed it's ok since I have 17 serama eggs from Castle Serama in the bator! It's day 5 and I've got 5 veining so far! Oh I'm so excited!!

I've got some questions - Turtle and Elena are about 7 weeks old now I believe. Turtle's crow is pathetic and more of an annoying squawk - he has graduated from "squeak" - and after crowing 10ish times, he goes after poor Elena. She's squishing herself into the smallest most uncomfortable places trying to escape his mating battering. Should I separate them? It's just the two of them after turtle pecked one of my week old babies brains out, but they are still quite small compared to Taco and Belle so I don't want to put them out there with them.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I really appreciate it.

I am a little scared of hatching my own eggs, as I've never done it before. Plus I'm only looking to have one chicken, though I suppose if I hatched eggs it may not be hard to find new homes for extra chicks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I should talk to/where I should post if I were to look for an already hatched Serama, maybe a pullet? There was a gentleman in the buy/sell/trade section offering Seramas who I sent a PM to, explaining my situation and what I was looking for, but that was a while back and he's yet to respond to me.

:) Thanks for all the help guys, it means a lot to me.

[/IMG]
Mrs. noxie
I am going to post my babies
Can I have some opinions on them I don't know much about them yet except their cute as hell lmao

i would just go with hatching... with the eggs fertility from charlie, 10 eggs will give you at least two chicks! if you do end up buying an incubator, go with one that is mid range price like 30 - 40 dollars. they will give you little problems. do you live near miami Fl? if you do i will be happy to incubate eggs for you!

i would just go with hatching... with the eggs fertility from charlie, 10 eggs will give you at least two chicks! if you do end up buying an incubator, go with one that is mid range price like 30 - 40 dollars. they will give you little problems. do you live near miami Fl? if you do i will be happy to incubate eggs for you!

Well, to be honest, over the past couple hours the thought of hatching eggs has kind of grown on me! I actually have an incubator already, I ran out to Tractor Supply a couple summers ago and picked up a mid-range one for an emergency (there was a clutch of snake eggs in a problematic area of our yard that floods, I was going to move them into the incubator if any rain was coming. Luckily they all hatched before the yard got any more rain and the incubator is still sitting new in the box!)

Sadly I'm about 12 hours away from Miami, up here in northern Alabama. Thank you for offering though, that's really kind of you!

I think I'll go ahead and send Charlie an email, and go get that incubator out of storage. :)

that's great motivation! goo luck! and don't forget to update us! and most of all, no matter how tempting leave them alone when they are in lock-down! temp on top of eggs should be 99.5 - 100 deg though i have hatched with temps of 97 - 102 deg. humidity should be 45% to 50
jumpy.gif
big_smile.png
bun.gif
and 65- 70 on lock-down

Had my FIRST ever Serama egg hatch yesterday and another one pipped today! After nearly 50 eggs of failure, I am PSYCHED to have 2!!!

This is CORA (they are all girls until proven otherwise in my head LOL)!!!

Back
Top Bottom