American serama thread!

my chickens might eat the earth??? is that a problem??? i typed DE (long version) on eBay and it says food grade freshwater and all weird names???

Helps with internal parasites. I add 1 TBSP of DE to my kefir smoothie every day. You always want to go with Food grade. The stuff for pools is processed a different way and can harm you and your chickens.The bag I am using now I bought at our local feed store. I'm sure Lowe's and Home Depot would have it too.

I got mine here, http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-p147.aspx (hopefully linking to products off-site is okay). Like Brookhavens said though, any feed store should have some. Chickens eating a bit of it is a-okay. My previous chicken liked to dustbathe in it quite a bit. I learned the hard way to make sure she dustbathed outside, as I came home one day and found a cloud of white powder floating around my bedroom. That... took a while to clean up.

I got mine here, http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-p147.aspx (hopefully linking to products off-site is okay). Like Brookhavens said though, any feed store should have some. Chickens eating a bit of it is a-okay. My previous chicken liked to dustbathe in it quite a bit. I learned the hard way to make sure she dustbathed outside, as I came home one day and found a cloud of white powder floating around my bedroom. That... took a while to clean up.
i think your black chick is a rooster?!?!?! i looked at your pics and his comb is a little redder and bigger than the other.

You are better off buying a 50 pound bag. I use is outside at least once a week around the coops. It does help break down the poop and odor. I actually sprinkle in the shavings in the coop too.

I have a smaller coop so I only bought a 2 pound bag:p

I just wanna see how it works before buy the 20 - 50 Pound bag. Those 50 pounders are like $50 each?!?!?!?!?!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom