American serama thread!

You can actually sprinkle a little on the chickens feed and it will break up any internal parasites like worms. I add the DE and poultry dust to their favorite dusting hole out back to keep them free of parasites. But it is expensive stuff.

I have a smaller coop so I only bought a 2 pound bag:p

I just wanna see how it works before buy the 20 - 50 Pound bag. Those 50 pounders are like $50 each?!?!?!?!?!
lol.png

I only paid $25 for the 50 lb. bag at my feed store. It lasts forever too.

ETA: I just looked it up and a 20 lb. bag at tractor supply is $13

Last edited:
Hey guys! yesterday was my pullets skip day for egg laying. she so far has never skipped 2 days in a row. this time 11:00 - 11:45 am is when she lays her eggs. she is in and out of the nest box 4 times with no eggs. i am usually there to watch her lay it. today, my neighbors are here to see her lkay it. i dont think she is eggbound because her belly is soft, not hard. her vebnt is dialated so i know she has one in her. what do you guys think i should do?

Hey guys! yesterday was my pullets skip day for egg laying. she so far has never skipped 2 days in a row. this time 11:00 - 11:45 am is when she lays her eggs. she is in and out of the nest box 4 times with no eggs. i am usually there to watch her lay it. today, my neighbors are here to see her lkay it. i dont think she is eggbound because her belly is soft, not hard. her vebnt is dialated so i know she has one in her. what do you guys think i should do?
Just leave her be. She will lay it when she is ready. I've had mine go for days without laying.

DE has to be dry to work well. It weakens the insect exoskeleton, and they dry out and die. (So also okay for chicken to eat any dead bugs.) Last summer we had ants trooping all over the coop to get to the water. I sprinkled a DE perimeter around the waterer and the coop and they were gone in a few days. DE in the nest boxes will deter mites. It should work on cockroaches.

You also might be able to set up some sort of a one way trap for the roaches. Bait them into a glass bottle that they can't get out of, and in the morning the chickens could have a yummy breakfast!
That's disgusting, but a great idea! LOL, I should have thought of that, I use it around my strawberries too!

You can put something on your coop (I have a tree round that I can lift), wet the ground under it and let it sit there for a while. Every once in a while lift it up and your chickens will get to enjoy the bugs that have moved in. Keeping it moist underneath will encourage more bugs.
My husband has been doing that but we've hardly had any bugs :( I think it's because the area used to have a wooly nighshade growing there, a hideous plant!! I think it sterilized the ground! I hope with my girls pooping and all the grass I leave in there that they don't eat, that the soil will heal!

I only paid $25 for the 50 lb. bag at my feed store. It lasts forever too.

ETA: I just looked it up and a 20 lb. bag at tractor supply is $13
That's a great price! Our feed store charges $35 for 10 lbs. I don't buy from them, but online wherever it's cheapest (watch out for shipping!)

Just leave her be. She will lay it when she is ready. I've had mine go for days without laying.
You are seriously putting the rest of us chicken obsessed to shame.....
LOL, that's so true, larps, you need to leave the poor dear be!
thanks! my neighbors enjoyed the egg!
I'm glad she laid and that your neighbors had fun. I guess you'll have one trained Serama hen that can lay in adverse circumstances!

Moved my Serama pair with the two silkies inside to their new "coop", which is actually the bottom level of my rabbit tower. They spent a good 4 hours digging and dusting and having a grand ole time with the fresh delicious shavings.
I was wondering, do any of you keep your serama with silkie chickens?

So I finally convinced my husband and tomorrow I am getting a GOSLING!!! I am so freaking excited I can't hardly stand it!
Do any of you have other house birds with your house serama? I'm wondering if my Toulouse will get along with my serama. I know they have different needs, but they will be living in the same room and have the same house free ranging time.

Back
Top Bottom