American serama thread!

Thanks TweetyNPetey :)

Finally got pics of my other one

WHAT A CUTIE!! :)

I've been stalking this thread for a while now and can finally take part in the conversations! A friend here on BYC is getting serama eggs from a breeders in Florida today and incubating them for me! Super excited. I actually fell in love with the breed just browsing this thread and seeing them.

Now I have to get to work building hutches for them as its going to be a cold winter so they will be inside. Any tips for caging? I know they are a lot different than my large breeds. Any particular bedding they do best with? I have a 2.5 ft by 5 ft rabbit hutch ill be converting into a brooders for them.

I've been stalking this thread for a while now and can finally take part in the conversations! A friend here on BYC is getting serama eggs from a breeders in Florida today and incubating them for me! Super excited. I actually fell in love with the breed just browsing this thread and seeing them.

Now I have to get to work building hutches for them as its going to be a cold winter so they will be inside. Any tips for caging? I know they are a lot different than my large breeds. Any particular bedding they do best with? I have a 2.5 ft by 5 ft rabbit hutch ill be converting into a brooders for them.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! These little feathered kids will steal yer heart and not let go! They are SO addictive! That is a wonderful size for a brooder.
My suggestions would be: paper towels, on the floor for the first week, then you can go to shavings or sand. Heat lamp to keep those precious darlings toasty warm.95degrees the first two weeks and then you can start dropping 5 degrees every week till they are weaned off the light by 2 months. Heat lamp in a corner so they can choose whether or not to go under it.
Medicated chick starter, SAV-A-CHICK in the water OOPSIE getting carried away....:p
BEDDING seems to be a personalthing, I just love sand, EZE to clean, but I clean at least 2 times a day. With shavings you can go longer between cleanings. With sand you can hatch them on it and forego paper towels, with shavings best to start with paper towels [traction issue]

OK, I get off my soap box now........I always get TOO helpful.....:oops: :)

def with froggie. :) I keep my young ones in the house. I prefer no drafts. Warm light on one end so they can keep away from the heat. Oh in my chick water i put marbles in the first few days so they dont fall in and drown. Def the sav-a-chick in the water also. To really boost them i use the sav-a-chick water in their food make a mash they will eat it up. Keep an eye out for pastey butt. Its where the poo gathers around their bottom and bounds them up. Really fatal to them :( I clean my waterers and feeders daily def helps them. Congrats on your serama

Good Grief,
I think I have serama pipping..........day 19.
Suffering from old eyes................
lol.png

Hope I am not just seeing what I want to see and it is a scratch..................
Does it ever get any easier with hatches....always feels like the first time................
gig.gif

I will not wear myself out checking out the incubator.......I will not wear myself out...........
I will not
smack.gif

Last edited:
Good Grief,
I think I have serama pipping..........day 19.
Suffering from old eyes................
lol.png

Hope I am not just seeing what I want to see and it is a scratch..................
Does it ever get any easier with hatches....always feels like the first time................
gig.gif

I will not wear myself out checking out the incubator.......I will not wear myself out...........
I will not
smack.gif
Woo Hoo congrats. Nah the hatches are like Christmas morning running in and looking going whoaaaaaaaaaaa :)

Hi,
These are pictures of the parents of the eggs I am hatching.
Old pic's...I'll try to find time tomorrow to get new ones.........
The rooster is much nicer with a good chest.....just a baby in this picture...................

Back
Top Bottom