American serama thread!

Jtabor1387

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Do you know why this happens? I have noticed the same thing in my hatches, it's very frustrating. My problem is more towards hatch day. They are fully developed, ready to come out, but they never internally pip. 90% of my deaths are like that, it's usually anywhere from 1/4 to an 1/8 of the eggs. If I could fix this problem my hatch rate could be nearly 100 every time. 

What a sweet boy! I'm so sorry for your loss! His cute little pictures will be missed. Good luck with the egg though! Wouldn't that be wonderful? 
Do you (or anyone else here) know anything about lacing as a gene? I wonder if it would be easier or more difficult if you crossed the seabright with a serama who already has lacing? 
I don't know anything about it, but am definitely curious =)
I am definitely not an expert on lacing but I know there many different factors, too not only get a lacing pattern but to get the color of the lacing correct. I found this pic online, so I know it's possible.

RedRoosterFarm

**LOVE MY SERAMAS**
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
Eatonville, Washington
Depends what you are breeding for. The white is my American serama and the other is my project bird as I am trying to get a bit more extreme. It's a great question. He does not fit into the American serama group.

Last edited:

RachaelS

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Depends what you are breeding for. The white is my American serama and the other is my project bird as I am trying to get a bit more extreme. It's a great question. He does not fit into the American serama group.

That makes perfect sense, thank you for answering so quickly. If only you could get the breast on the white bird with the wings of the second.

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
Some birds are trained to pose like that, with others it is breeding. Many people like the extreme posture and wing carriage and therefore breed for it . I do not, I am more concerned with size and color in my flock.My birds don't stand like that.Their posture while still upright is more like a "normal" chicken because I prefer it. IMO it is more natural looking.

Top Bottom