American serama thread!

If possible I would not do shipped serama eggs for your first time hatching

Even that would not work, Seramas do not breed true to color, So the only way you could get that color is to hatch alot and maybe never get that color, and then you could also buy adult birds of that color
Okay, thank you for the info! I wasn't sure how it worked lol, I will probably try to find an adult to buy then to begin with. I'm not sure though, maybe I would just try my luck with babies because then they will be hand raised by me. I'm sure I will love them regardless of their feathering! :)

Thank you for the info! What a gorgeous rooster! That's exactly the color type I would want. I'm a huge fan of the bright colored chickens
smile.png

So I guess I'd have to go mostly by what the parents look like...
Thank you. I think he is gorgeous too. I do wish he were shaped more like this one.

I really love Seramas! I'm only "chicken dreaming" right now - imagining the breeds I will get when I can have a nice yard and coops and spacious runs!

I wonder, where does everyone get their Seramas? I'd love to be able to keep track of some places who supply Serama in various parts of the US for future reference. We're not sure where we will end up - wherever jobs in my fiance's profession takes him, but we are aiming for the South! They seem like great chickens to have as pets. :)
Since you love serama you might also like Japanese bantams. Picture from yahoo images.

Since you love serama you might also like Japanese bantams. Picture from yahoo images.

Oh he's beautiful too! Edit: Are they as small as Serama?

I have another question to everyone in regards to keeping Serama, let's say chickens are not allowed in my area (I currently don't live in the US so this is just for my curiosity right now). If I keep Serama indoors in an area where chickens are prohibited, is that legal? And if I let them outside to free range while I watch them, is that then illegal because backyard chickens aren't allowed?

Last edited:
Oh he's beautiful too! Edit: Are they as small as Serama?

I have another question to everyone in regards to keeping Serama, let's say chickens are not allowed in my area (I currently don't live in the US so this is just for my curiosity right now). If I keep Serama indoors in an area where chickens are prohibited, is that legal? And if I let them outside to free range while I watch them, is that then illegal because backyard chickens aren't allowed?

Well, its not illegal until you get caught is my motto! ;) They are not any different than a parrot cockatoo or Macaw is my thinking AND a heck of alot more quiet than them. :cd
To me, they are just little people in feathered coats... :thumbsup

Oh he's beautiful too! Edit: Are they as small as Serama? Somewhat larger as a breed. They have much in common with serama. It is believed that Jappanese bantams were used in the creation of serama.

Where I live it is not "legal" to keep chickens. I keep them inside only letting them outside on the hottest days. The city knows I have them. As long as no one complains all is good. If someone does complain, then something has to be done. We're moving in the spring.

Haha I like that way of thinking!

Where I live it is not "legal" to keep chickens. I keep them inside only letting them outside on the hottest days. The city knows I have them. As long as no one complains all is good. If someone does complain, then something has to be done. We're moving in the spring.
Good to know! Hopefully they will be legal where I end up living!

Back
Top Bottom