American serama thread!

My other hen's are going crazy over these eggs. I have them in a dog carrier in a separate run. When I let my broody out to roam this morning a couple of the other hen's got into the run. They keep frantically circling the carrier with the eggs, looking in, clucking, just having a fit. Anybody know what's going on?

Sounds like there's something in the carrier other than just eggs. If there isn't I have no ideas as to the why.

They keep frantically circling the carrier with the eggs, looking in, clucking, just having a fit. Anybody know what's going on?

My birds are all highly aware of anything I bring into the paddock.
They're hoping I'm carrying snacks but anything else and they act frantic.
I have certain shirts that cause them to go crazy.
I think it may be because birds can see the ultraviolet spectrum of light
and maybe these shirts glow under black light or something?

I have 2 broodies they had 2 nest boxes the both liked and would take turns at. At one point, they fought over nests and broke the eggs. I waited a few days and they were both still sitting in separate nests but no eggs to fight over. I took a cloth and covered one of the nest boxes.the hen in that box I can catch she is friendly,I will let her out in the morning 15 min then put her back.. . the other box I left open to the independent grumpier hen. When I was covering the nice hen's area, grumpy got mad at me, then when she could see I was giving eggs to the nice hen she got even more upset, then I put some eggs in her nest box, she could see the eggs and went to sit. I hope all will be well now!

(These are not Serama's but I thought I would share.)

Last edited:
I have 2 broodies they had 2 nest boxes the both liked and would take turns at. At one point, they fought over nests and broke the eggs. I waited a few days and they were both still sitting in separate nests but no eggs to fight over. I took a cloth and covered one of the nest boxes.the hen in that box I can catch she is friendly,I will let her out in the morning 15 min then put her back.. . the other box I left open to the independent grumpier hen. When I was covering the nice hen's area, grumpy got mad at me, then when she could see I was giving eggs to the nice hen she got even more upset, then I put some eggs in her nest box, she could see the eggs and went to sit. I hope all will be well now!

(These are not Serama's but I thought I would share.)

Good luck with the broodies.

A dozen at best. The first two clutches were DIS.
12 isn't a large sample size, so it could just be the odds of it. But perhaps the frizzles are more sensitive to issues that would cause them to die prior to hatch. According to the book I mentioned earlier: "The gene is mildly deleterious, being associated with an increase in blood pressure."

12 isn't a large sample size, so it could just be the odds Yes, it could be. of it. But perhaps the frizzles are more sensitive to issues that would cause them to die prior to hatch. According to the book I mentioned earlier: "The gene is mildly deleterious, being associated with an increase in blood pressure."

While experimenting using different roosters, the DIS with the frizzle hen seems to be the result of the lethal factor due to short legs and not knowing my bird's background. With the last long legged rooster 9 of 10 egg hatched some of which are frizzle and all nine chicks appear to be healthy.

While experimenting using different roosters, the DIS with the frizzle hen seems to be the result of the lethal factor due to short legs and not knowing my bird's background. With the last long legged rooster 9 of 10 egg hatched some of which are frizzle and all nine chicks appear to be healthy.

9 of 10, wow!! That's a fantastic hatch. It sounds like you've made an excellent match there then, on multiple fronts. Congrats!

9 of 10, wow!! That's a fantastic hatch. It sounds like you've made an excellent match there then, on multiple fronts. Congrats!

Yes, I am pleased that the fertility of all my birds has improved dramatically. Do you know anything about the causes of eggs that have no shell that are not calcium/dietary related?

@nchls school

I know your hens lay clutches before going broody... How many eggs do the hens lay before actually going broody?

I know your hens lay clutches before going broody... How many eggs do the hens lay before actually going broody?

Around ten. Six being the smallest clutch and thirteen being the largest clutch. Those that have more than eight have the extras fostered to my silkies or the serama hens not suitable for breeding. At times, extra eggs are used in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom