American serama thread!

Clodagh's clutch is due to hatch on Wednesday.
I've been trying to get broodies to set on eggs in the nest next to Clodagh.
Today I found Clodagh sitting on the eggs in the wrong nest.
She may have been off her eggs for hours! Maybe as much as four.
The temps were near 90 this afternoon, so I'm hoping the chicks are Spartans who survive.

This may be reassuring to you. Some of my kids made an incubator from a styrofoam ice chest as a science fair project. It was doing a fairly constant temperature-then the heat in the school was turned off. It took three days to get the temperature back over 95 degrees. Yesterday the furnace was turned back on and the school was at near sauna conditions. The temperature in their incubator was over 102. I showed the students how to candle eggs today and we were amazed that six egg were alive and growing (serama eggs).

So the point being, there is a good chance that Clodagh's eggs will hatch.

Last edited:
I'll send you 4 eggs now if you're ready to try again.
Or you can wait until after the move.

I've also listed 8 eggs for $22.
I've got 3 hens on eggs but the rest aren't ready to set.
I don't want all the potential beautiful babies to go to waste.

To be honest, Ra_, I'm unsure what to do. My Kimmi is headed back to TN in a couple of weeks hoping to find us a place. But who know how that will go. I guess everything has to stay on the back burner. It is so frustrating not to be able to go to TN myself. And to stop the fun of new chicks when it might take us months...

Do you sell chicks? I'll take a look at your tribbles page and see.

Live Tribbles are crazy expensive right now.
They'll get cheaper as I finish putting my trios together and as people start breeding what they're now hatching.

I guess I will, indeed, have to wait as I can't afford the price. But if I had birds like that I would have the price as you have it.

Curious, you mentioned a couple roosters that were replaced by their sons. What are your plans for those?

Curious, you mentioned a couple roosters that were replaced by their sons. What are your plans for those?

I sold Data yesterday.
I'd give you Trace if you were closer.

Fluff has hatched 2 so far.
I don't see anything moving under Clodagh.
She is the poor girl who I confused by putting an identical nesting cage next to hers.
She's such a great Mother too.

I have a sweet tiny cockerel, (Gordon Gano) who is about 10 weeks old. For at least several weeks now, his legs have been shaky, like he's cold or frightened. At first I thought those were possibilities, but I've observed it when it's quite warm outside and he's clearly feeling confident. He may have always been like this but I've only noticed it for perhaps a month. Otherwise, he is the picture of perfect health. Anyone have any experience or info on this?

Just peeked under Clodagh & some chicks are starting to break out. Woohoo!
wee.gif

I think she had 3 Powder eggs & 3 Worf eggs, so at least one of those new trios is now proven.

I have a sweet tiny cockerel, (Gordon Gano) who is about 10 weeks old. For at least several weeks now, his legs have been shaky, like he's cold or frightened. At first I thought those were possibilities, but I've observed it when it's quite warm outside and he's clearly feeling confident. He may have always been like this but I've only noticed it for perhaps a month. Otherwise, he is the picture of perfect health. Anyone have any experience or info on this?

Shaky or trembling? I have noticed, while handling the serama, that their bodies often have a trembling to them. Not something visual, but felt. This concerned me at first. I also wondered about being cold or afraid. Now I just accept it as a peculiarity of the breed.

Back
Top Bottom