American serama thread!

Zach, ~15 ounces at about 18 weeks of age.

For those of you with tribbles from Ra_, my two young tribble pullets have been laying. Not having a tribble rooster I put my frizzle rooster with the two. I put the first seventeen eggs under three broody hens. The first egg was clear, the second DIS, and the other fifteen eggs all have developing chicks in them. The first of them starts to hatch Tuesday. I'm curious how they will turn out; maybe frizzle silkied serma????
The first hen hatched three last week. The second hen has hatched all five of her tribble eggs. The third hen still has all seven eggs developing due to hatch next week. So far eight chicks have hatched-I'm expecting all 15 to hatch. No more have DIS, development has been normal, and the eggs have hatched under normal conditions. From what I have read and been told the chicks will be smooth or frizzled, but will carry the recessive silkied gene making it possible that the next generation might be "sizzles"-frizzled silkied serama. I'll post pictures of the chicks later.

Question. Have you guys done the finger test on seramas to see if they're laying or close too laying? On LF birds if you can fit 3 fingers between the pelvic bones they're either laying or will be soon. I got got a quad this week and noticed today one of them squatting for me. They're 5 months old. The cockerel was also mounting a different pullet. The 3rd pullet doesn't seem as close to lay as the others as her comb is paler. If anyone gets a chance will you check the pelvic bones of your layers and report back? I would be forever grateful!

:]

Edit to add- on the pullet that was squatting for me I was able to fit my index finger without too much wiggle room between the pelvic bones. On the one being mounted I was able to fit a finger between but the bones were touching either side of my finger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom