American serama thread!

Tribble X frizzle chicks.
Adorbs!
Question. Have you guys done the finger test on seramas to see if they're laying or close too laying? On LF birds if you can fit 3 fingers between the pelvic bones they're either laying or will be soon. I got got a quad this week and noticed today one of them squatting for me. They're 5 months old. The cockerel was also mounting a different pullet. The 3rd pullet doesn't seem as close to lay as the others as her comb is paler. If anyone gets a chance will you check the pelvic bones of your layers and report back? I would be forever grateful! :] Edit to add- on the pullet that was squatting for me I was able to fit my index finger without too much wiggle room between the pelvic bones. On the one being mounted I was able to fit a finger between but the bones were touching either side of my finger.
I have not tried this, but would love to know if you get an answer. And I have a question. I'm sure I can look it up, but thought this might get me a quicker/easier answer. Are feathered legs accepted on seramas?

According to SCNA it is accepted. Yellow, green, pink, white, black, booted or not, they're all accepted for traditional seramas. The American seramas need to follow the ABA/APA rules of accepted and recognized colors. IMO I do not think Seramas should be bred with feathered legs. But they're your birds, your vision.

Unfortunately no one has answered my question on the finger test here or in FB. So I will have to do it myself when she lays her first egg and report back :p

According to SCNA it is accepted. Yellow, green, pink, white, black, booted or not, they're all accepted for traditional seramas. The American seramas need to follow the ABA/APA rules of accepted and recognized colors. IMO I do not think Seramas should be bred with feathered legs. But they're your birds, your vision.

Unfortunately no one has answered my question on the finger test here or in FB. So I will have to do it myself when she lays her first egg and report back :p

Thanks. I'm not necessarily big on it, and won't likely breed toward it. I love my feather legged cochins, but I'm thinking a booted Serama just wouldn't look right. But...I guess I'm going to find out, because apparently I hatched one. I thought it was a mismarked egg. :p

Doesn't really have Serama features. I'll be curious to watch it grow though.

ETA - if anyone here has booted ones, I'd love to see some pics!

Last edited:
It's been cold here lately! down to 10 degrees with wind, not sure on the chill factor. Our seramas are doing fine outdoors with no supplemental heat. They aren't out free ranging but they do come out once in awhile. They We have several adults and 5 young ones still under the care of their mommas (fully feathered though). They are also housed with a silkie and a LF hen. I have been giving them scratch at night on top of their normal feed and bring them hot/warm water a few times a day. This is our first year with seramas. We are in north central washington. I was wondering what everyone else's experience is with these birds in the winter. Has anyone had one die from being too cold?

It's been cold here lately! down to 10 degrees with wind, not sure on the chill factor. Our seramas are doing fine outdoors with no supplemental heat. They aren't out free ranging but they do come out once in awhile. They We have several adults and 5 young ones still under the care of their mommas (fully feathered though). They are also housed with a silkie and a LF hen. I have been giving them scratch at night on top of their normal feed and bring them hot/warm water a few times a day. This is our first year with seramas. We are in north central washington. I was wondering what everyone else's experience is with these birds in the winter. Has anyone had one die from being too cold?
Southern Tennessee-14 to 24 degrees F.-five serama hens and one Japanese with chicks under two weeks; some newly hatched-two serama brooding-two laying eggs-heats lamps to help the hens keep their chicks warm-the coop is very cold-none sick and none have died-my silkied serama can't take the cold so they are indoors when it's cold-as is a very tiny smooth feathered pullet-to get colder so another heat lamp is being added to the coop. Quite obviously serama can take more cold than given credit for. Not just surviving the cold, but laying, brooding and raising chicks just as they did in the spring and summer.

I have 3 serama pullets and 1 cockerel almost 6 months old. Well today was the day! TWO of the three laid their first eggs today :p

:weee congrats!!

I have 6 pullets, 6-1/2 months old. One started laying in September! And has already gone broody and hatched chicks!! The other 5 have yet to lay :barnie

These 2 hatched in the same group, within 2 days of each other, 16-18 days ago. Check out the difference!

I was worried that the small one wasn't going to thrive and was going to die. But I gave her some NutriDrench and she is hanging in there. :fl

:weee congrats!!

I have 6 pullets, 6-1/2 months old. One started laying in September! And has already gone broody and hatched chicks!! The other 5 have yet to lay :barnie

I have never had a broody. I've only had these seramas less than a month and I'm growing out bantam cochin hatchery chicks. I'm hoping to have a few broodies by next summer. I think I'll let the serama girls hatch whatever they brood on. I wouldn't mind for my serama population to multiply :]

Back
Top Bottom