American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. pongo

pongo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    hey peachy ill have a few SQ ones here this spring they are still way to young to figure out what they will look like but if they take anything after like their papa then they will be amazing

2. jerschex

jerschex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    outside New Orleans
    Quote:I have some 8 years old. Beware of the serama experts, they seek attention and glory. Anyone wanta know anything about serama, ask me or visit my website.

3. jerschex

jerschex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    outside New Orleans
    An Invitation to Participate

Historic Oak Alley Plantation, Vacherie, La. (www.oakalleyplantation.com) has been selected as the site of the 2012 Cajun Classic and Serama International. The subtropical gardens of the deep south's most famous antebellum mansion will be the setting for a Serama Only Show featuring Malaysian Style Table Top Judging, Friday and Saturday, April 13 & 14, 2012

The show, sponsored by the Cajun Serama Council, the Louisiana Chapter of the Serama Council of North America and it's affiliate the National Serama Council, promises to be the largest gathering of Serama and Serama enthusiast in the Western World..

ABA/APA/SCNA Judges, Matt Lhmon, Ohio, Don Nelson, Rhode Island and Jim Adkins, North Carolina will judge 40 different classes in both open and junior shows.

Friday's activities,starting at 5PM will include Chick Classes, 1, 2 and 3 Month. A Malaysian (Ayam) Serama Competition, both Male and Female Classes will follow. The Malay Serama, are extreme and have a standard different and apart from the Traditional or American Serama . Following, a “Toy” Serama competition, male and female, sole criteria, size and extremism, will be held.. Friday activities will conclude with a Matched Pair Competition of recognized chicken colors (other breeds) accepted by the ABA/APA

Saturday activities, starting at 9 AM will feature the American Serama Competition, white and black color varieties entered either as Cock, Hen, Cockerel, Pullets. White and Black Silkied and Frizzle will be judged separately. Judging of the non-recognized color varieties will follow. These traditional Serama are judged by class, A B & C , determined by weight.

Unlike ordinary chicken shows, where birds are kept coop bound, at a Serama Show, each bird is placed on a platform and judged for type (conformance) Character (personality) , tail/wing carriage, feather quality and overall condition. Points totaling 100 are awarded to each bird entered. A unique feature of the Cajun Classic is, birds are not segregated by color, sex and variety. Hens are cooped side by side with cocks, pullets and cockerels.. All varieties, smooth, frizzle, silkied and booted are intermingled through out, controlled by color coded score cards.

A crawfish boil with all the trimming, fried alligator, crackins, made on the spot, and fresh country sausage po-boys will round up Friday evening's menu, served to exhibitors and guests. Live music will be provided for entertainment. Saturday, authentic Cajun Dishes will be available for purchase through out the day at a modest cost. A Cajun Zydeco Band with Cajun Dancers will entertain. A 200 item raffle table and several silent auction items will be featured. A 'serama for sale' tent will offer hundreds of serama for those interested in getting started. Spectators and exhibitors may contact Jerry Schexnayder at [email protected] for additional information.

Come pass a good time with us at the CC, ya momma and them are gunna be dar, come join um.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    That sounds like so much fun Jerry!!

5. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Lets go ! you can jump in with us . [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:Yeah it's 43 degrees here and it was 70 yesterday, so it feels like ice right.

7. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    You guys are all lucky. It is 32 degrees here. [​IMG]

8. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:Trust me it feels like 32 here.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Supposed to get down to 26 tonight. I had an ice film on some water at 4:30 [​IMG]

10. PiratePrincess

PiratePrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Fayetteville
    I picked up my first Serama at the post office warehouse last night at 9pm. Couldn't wait for her to be delivered the next day plus it was cold. I have to say wow is she sweet! You know it has to be love if I am raiding my beloved flower garden to bring her yummy green offerings. I am working on getting her some friends hopefully. I'm curious though if anyone ever integrates their seramas with larger chickens? I have about 3 bantam cochins and 5 silkies. If they can't ever be one flock that's ok too. Now I am off to find some chicken diapers! I'll post pics of her later. Oh, my boyfriend named her.....Tominnie. Say it slowly and you'll understand why he chose that name. Fortunately he loves me so he isn't packing up and moving out. As if he ever would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by