American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I've been looking for frizzels and silkies, wouldn't mind having a curly either.

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:They are non-vertical birds that have lost the genetic ability to grow the correct tails and wings.

How exactly do they lose the ability to grow correct tail and wing? I am a bit confused by that, would love an illustration of what u are talking about, the incorrect tail and incorrect wing.

I have looked and looked and looked for more info on the "ball type", I think they are really cute, and all I can find, are some vague descriptions that just basically call them one of four malaysian types. June is probably comparing them to the American type, which is a combo of slim + apple Malay types. Totally different branches of the same tree.

I wonder how you would show them?? I'm guessing there isn't a venue in the states yet, because they certainly don't fit the criteria for 'American Serama'. You may have to work with others that are not going towards adopting a Malaysian standard.

If you will be breeding them, I'd love to hear about the offspring, and if that "type" is reproduced consistently. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:How exactly do they lose the ability to grow correct tail and wing? I am a bit confused by that, would love an illustration of what u are talking about, the incorrect tail and incorrect wing.

I have looked and looked and looked for more info on the "ball type", I think they are really cute, and all I can find, are some vague descriptions that just basically call them one of four malaysian types. June is probably comparing them to the American type, which is a combo of slim + apple Malay types. Totally different branches of the same tree.

I wonder how you would show them?? I'm guessing there isn't a venue in the states yet, because they certainly don't fit the criteria for 'American Serama'. You may have to work with others that are not going towards adopting a Malaysian standard.

If you will be breeding them, I'd love to hear about the offspring, and if that "type" is reproduced consistently. [​IMG]

Check out Ra_ and her tribbles. Here is my wife's new pair, that originated from Ra_.
    [​IMG]

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    We were not however going to bred for birds that arent upright or with low tails, IMO the Apple type are just a little more round bodied than other types. We have a hen we got from June a while back, that was sold to us as an Apple type, that she had gotten from someone else, but when she poses she is nice and vertical, wings are vertical, and tail is near vertical, but she is a round bodied looking hen most of the time.

5. pongo

pongo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    it is do beautiful out today.... love it

6. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    very cold here sunny but cold brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. pongo

pongo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    banning ca
    its 73 degrees here..... just gorgeous..... but rain is expected saturday night ....grrrr for that

these 3 chicks is gonna drive me nuts..... they are still in the incubator and screaming their heads off..... loudest ones yet lmao

8. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    just block out the sound bro i got one chick here kate sent back with us and hes a screamer next time i'll make sure i take at least two lol . ya they are calling for rain here also [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    Some of my new Serama! Still looking for some nice show quality ones if anyone has any.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    Sorry about the picture quality, used my cell phone. I will try and get some better ones once everyone gets all settled in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by