American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Hi RAy! I didn't realize Curlysue lost her buddies by a nasty old raccon?!? Well she is watching the 3 stoogies jump from the work table to my shoulders and I think she tried to join us. She jumped out of the cage [oops gotta keep the door closed now] bounced on the floor and went looking for us. [​IMG] She is a hardly little soul. [​IMG] And thank you for the compliments Ray! [​IMG]

Quote:Yes, that is what my curly from Juliette looks like too. I was just curious since he said he was breeding two frizzles...I've heard you want to do that for better show quality birds but at the same time, I've heard it can go bad.

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Yes, isn't little Emma the BOMB! Bill done good with her. Nite Bill...who is zipping now????
    Quote:

3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:beautiful birds! So it's ok to breed two frizzles? I know it produces curlies (I have one from Juliette) but do people really want them? I am asking because I am overloaded on beautiful frizzle pairs right now and no smooth mates for them. How acceptable is this in the Serama world? I don't have a problem with it but would like some other opinions before I start pairing up my frizzles.

When you breed a curly, you have a huge chance of it going bald due to brittle feathers, but since it caries two copies of the frizzled gene......you also can breed it to get 100% frizzles AND double frizzling for better feather quality in the subsequent generations.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. N.WChickenGuy

N.WChickenGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Washington
    can anyone tell me if two smooths can make a frizzle ?

smooth+smooth=Frizzle????

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    N.WChickenGuy :

No, the frizzle gene is dominant, so if either bird were carrying it, he/she would be a frizzle.​

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    N.WChickenGuy :

NO!, but-------
    I think there is a TEENY-TINY chance, like .0000000000000001%.. that it could happen....its been a few years since I had this discussion with people that know much more than I about frizzling genetics.

The frizzled gene is dominant, so if they have it they show it.
    If you have 2 smooth birds, they dont have the dominant frizzled gene... BUT someone said that it could somehow happen. Ill have to find out why there is that tiny possibility genetically, but in general its pretty much impossible.

Found--From Liz (Catwalk)--
    I recently found out that there is a recessive frizzle modifier gene, fm. If homozygous, a bird with a frizzle gene will appear smooth! And THAT is how two smooth birds can parent a frizzle.​

7. Ok_Junebug

Ok_Junebug Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Moore, Ok.
    Quote:They are non-vertical birds that have lost the genetic ability to grow the correct tails and wings.

8. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:I feel you there! We are going to start in Feb/ March for production. Didn't have much this year and had late chicks. Then something ate all our adults. Having high hopes for next year too! Sending lots of prayers to the hatching gods for you!! [​IMG]

Hey hadn't heard much from you latley.. hate to here that!! My lil friz hen and roo I hatchd out of your eggs are doing great!!! [​IMG]

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:beautiful birds! So it's ok to breed two frizzles? I know it produces curlies (I have one from Juliette) but do people really want them? I am asking because I am overloaded on beautiful frizzle pairs right now and no smooth mates for them. How acceptable is this in the Serama world? I don't have a problem with it but would like some other opinions before I start pairing up my frizzles.

When you breed a curly, you have a huge chance of it going bald due to brittle feathers, but since it caries two copies of the frizzled gene......you also can breed it to get 100% frizzles AND double frizzling for better feather quality in the subsequent generations.

Thank you for your reply and PM...helped me understand the genetics of this much better!

10. bluebird

bluebird Chicken Obsessed

Feb 4, 2008
    Earth
    My Coop
    Quote:WOW! Very pretty! And Congradulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by