American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Right. Hens need to be 11.2 ounces in order to qualify for awards.

2. SunValleySeramas

SunValleySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    ramona, california
    Chaili He looks great!! man you are going to bring it to the table, no pun intended!! OK yeah it was!! Thanks for the photos of him!! BIG B how is the young roo that your son got at the show!! I am taking his full brother to the semi nationals, I could not choose between the one i kept TP and yours but yours lost a sickle and so i went with the other. I hope you like Him i have not heard a word out of you about him. He was the pick cockerel by one of the judges!!

3. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    My son loves him cara ! he named him skid he will be part of are cocopop project not sure if we will bring him to AZ i have a bunch of home growen birds i want to take there but pretty sure i will take him to stockton in jan and manteca in march . we thank you very much for him ! [​IMG]

4. YB192004

YB192004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Quote:He looks good Chaili!!!!!!! I can't wait to see how he & Johnny look when they mature.

5. YB192004

YB192004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Quote:Just start with some test breeding, look for strengths and weaknesses in your birds type, and pick pairs that might compensate for each other, i.e. don't breed two with the same fault, like short tails, horizontal wings, or big combs, etc.

X2 with what she said....[​IMG]

This is what I have decided to pair up in my Malaysian serama project for next yr. They compensate each other's faults. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:You called her a 'hen'...hens are 1 year or older...if less than a year she is still a 'pullet' and may grow a little. [​IMG]

Thanks.

She is about 1yr and a half and is a very good little layer been getting an egg every two days.

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:[​IMG] I learned from the master.....

Hmmmm.... I'm not seeing the faults that they are compensating for? They both look pretty great to me! I know that cockerel has a better tail set than your picture shows, and for Malay type, its not supposed to be vertical. You're getting there Joey, there is a big difference from this generation compared to last.

As for my birds, I still think Johnny is the better cockerel of the two brothers, but he's only got half a tail right now, and I won't humiliate him publicly by posting photos of him [​IMG] I think I'll probably keep both of those guys until they are about a year old, before I decide what to do with them, unless I get a great offer that I can't refuse... LOL.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    i also think your birds look great joey i am thinking of starting my own malay project

9. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    I THINK THAT WILL BE A GREAT PAIR TO BREED !
    Quote:Just start with some test breeding, look for strengths and weaknesses in your birds type, and pick pairs that might compensate for each other, i.e. don't breed two with the same fault, like short tails, horizontal wings, or big combs, etc.

X2 with what she said....[​IMG]

This is what I have decided to pair up in my Malaysian serama project for next yr. They compensate each other's faults. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_jp1_11_16_11_003.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_jp1_09_18_11_019.jpg

10. 4cats3kids1hubby2many

4cats3kids1hubby2many Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Omak
    Froggie: I wanted you to know that Bumble has been spending the evening on my shoulder. She has preened and fluffed. Looked at the dogs and gave the cat the "stink-eye". Right now she is under my hair against my neck...I am getting ready to hear her snore. She has been pecking at my earrings. She is quite comfortable and happy. I hate to break her heart...I am going to have to put her back in the land of giants (with the orps) here soon so I can finish dinner. DH keeps droping hints of house chicken. Oh my gosh....what have you created? I am blaming you. Sorry. I have to blame someone. I don't want to take the blame.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by