American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I haven't posted pictures of my own birds in a while..... here are some of "Carlos" in various stages of pose, as he was a wiggle worm this morning.

He is one little cockerel from my own breeding, he is only 4 1-2 months old. He still has some growing and filling in to do.

I'm hoping he and his brother will make their debut on the carpet in Feb @ AZ show, if the almighty feather god is cooperative....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Are there any guidelines for pairing up seramas? I recently got 8 seramas... 4 roos and 4 pullets. I have separated 2 out. They are both pure white. Whether or not they will produce pure white is anyones guess, and since they came from a mixed flock, probably won't. I have a rooster that looks very much like a BBRed and a black, or almost pure black hen. I have several others that are mixed colors. Is it just kind of a crap shoot as far as what to put together.?

I know it would help if I got pictures and posted them, and I will do that one of these days. Today I am very much under the weather and just dragging myself out to do chores and check on them may be all I accomplish with them today.

I guess I have mixed feelings about it. I understand the APA and their requirements for acceptance of a variety, and I know when I breed my other chickens I try to breed toward the standard. However, these seramas are so different. I just LOVE their mix of colors and the almost endless varieties. I think I may just try to keep one variety that I breed toward the standard (the white) and just let the others be seramas of a "different feather." It's kind of like Christmas morning. You just never know what may be under the Christmas tree or what might be coming out of the incubator.

3. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    What a proud, handsome boy!
    Quote:

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:Just start with some test breeding, look for strengths and weaknesses in your birds type, and pick pairs that might compensate for each other, i.e. don't breed two with the same fault, like short tails, horizontal wings, or big combs, etc.

5. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    He look's good sunny look's like the one joey gave me chickenhawk keep up the good work and we will see you in AZ .
    Quote:

6. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    SunnyCA, You have a very handsome little roo there. Good luck with his showing career. [​IMG]

7. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Hi all just noticed this thread. I am new into seramas and i have one buff colored hen named Biscuite she weighs 267 grams what class does that make her ?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question .

Thanks !

8. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:What a beauty, love that type of coloring.

9. Ok_Junebug

Ok_Junebug Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Moore, Ok.
    Quote:267 grams converts to 9.4 oz. She would be a Class A at an SCNA show, but 9.6 is the bottom weigh limit for ABA,so she would be too small to show ABA (unless she grows a little). I like little ones. [​IMG]

10. Ok_Junebug

Ok_Junebug Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Moore, Ok.
    Quote:You called her a 'hen'...hens are 1 year or older...if less than a year she is still a 'pullet' and may grow a little. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by