American serama thread!

Here are the breeding pens I have made. We have three units (one for pairs, one for trios, and one for quads). Hope you like them.
DSC06956.jpg

DSC06955.jpg

DSC06784.jpg

DSC06681-1.jpg

DSC06678-1.jpg

DSC06675.jpg

Quote:
One of my boys won't leave his girl alone, thinking I might have to seperate him from her for a bit, to give her a break. I swear he does it everyday several times a day. Is that normal? Granted she's his only girl... I'm afraid she's not going to have any feathers left. The poor girls was fertile from the very first egg, which with the way he is, is no suprise. He was mating her before she even started laying!

Quote:
You're serving them Coke?! Aren't those birds crazy enough already?
gig.gif
Serisouly though I like that idea actually, how did you find bird waters that a Coke bottle could fit on? and your pens are very nice.

Quote:
You're serving them Coke?! Aren't those birds crazy enough already?
gig.gif
Serisouly though I like that idea actually, how did you find bird waters that a Coke bottle could fit on? and your pens are very nice.

Haha.. don't worry, it's not Coke.
gig.gif
It is a vitamin mixture that we give them one week every month. I forgot what size the Coke bottles are. I will let you know tomorrow.

Townhouse, I often will take the hen out for a day or so for a little break. If you have 2-3 hens, it really helps to cut down on the over mating. BUT if you don't have the excess hens, just give the hen a break for several hours.

If you can let the cockeral out to run around in a bigger area for awhile, it will also help burn off the excess energy. Most of mine have slowed down also after they have aged some. But those "young" males have a LOT of energy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Theron, what did you line your pens with? I use corrugated plastic "boxes" in the bottom of wire rabbit cages. But eventually I iwll probably need to build some nice pens like these. Very nice!

The 4 chicks are doing fine. Today was warm here and sunny and they enjoyed some "sun" bathing. Amazed by their beautiful coloring. Will keep you updated and have pix to share after the weekend. THANK YOU for nice clean birds!

Here are a few of our breeding groups we have at the moment. Sorry that some of the pictures are not that clear. Most of them are not posing.
I am not taking credit for most of these birds. They mostly came from pixiechicken and lonestargame. I will let you know which ones are from our breedings.
DSC06948.jpg

DSC06930.jpg

DSC06914.jpg

DSC06913.jpg

DSC06947.jpg

One from our breeding.

DSC06916.jpg

One from our breeding.

DSC06920.jpg

One from our breeding.

DSC06941.jpg

One from our breeding.