American serama thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 30, 2010.

1. bluebird

bluebird Chicken Obsessed

Feb 4, 2008
    Earth
    My Coop
    [​IMG] That certainly isn't what my family calls me! [​IMG]

2. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Well my little girl that was injured and paralyzed was dead this morning . I knew it was going to happen as yesterday she didn't really eat or drink much and her eyes kept closing . All she wanter to do was sleep, so I kept her in comfortable positions and she was gone this morning. Now my little Lucky is all alone except for me playing with him. Question is: do I try to get another bandy chick for him or do I just let him stay alone?? He happily chirps away when he is with me but when I need to put him in the brooder box, he complains loudly! He is snuggling under my arm now like it was a wing. Guess I'll play it by ear. I am going with a friend tomorrow for her to get a couple of LF hens so the lady might have some babies I could get. Has anyone raised a singleton chick alone?

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Thanks for the heads up on that bluebird....I have a tiny tina of sorts myself now.....Curlysue-and even tho it doesn't get as cold here in southern CA she still needs a jacket. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here she is with her BFF in the whole world.......

[​IMG]

Quote:

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    BAD FAMILY![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    OH chicklette that is so sad....I totally understand......I have raised 2 single chicks and they both turned out just fine. I used a small stuffed animal and a mirror in their cage..With one fuzzy she liked to peck on spots so I put a bell with "spots" on it in the cage and she would play with that. Pipecleaners make great "snakes" to attack...they really work GREAT. OR just keep him with you ALL the time....even better! Pocket Pet [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

6. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:
    Looks like were headed in the pocket pet direction. He seems to be past the age of loneliness being as big of a problem as it was. He just has to spend the nights alone, otherwise there is activity in the house all day including 6 dogs. I love nothing better than him fiddling around on my shoulder and in my hair. He grooms both of us!! I'll try some of your little tricks to occupy him and make life more interesting!
    The one that died really did not have much of a life with there nerve endings damaged and not being able to stand up. I guess it was really for her best and she was happy and comfortable while she was alive.

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Take heart that you did the best you could and made her life comfortable to the end and she went in her sleep....[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The mirror is a big one because it give Lucky an instant friend! I LOVE pocket pets......[​IMG]
    Quote:
    Looks like were headed in the pocket pet direction. He seems to be past the age of loneliness being as big of a problem as it was. He just has to spend the nights alone, otherwise there is activity in the house all day including 6 dogs. I love nothing better than him fiddling around on my shoulder and in my hair. He grooms both of us!! I'll try some of your little tricks to occupy him and make life more interesting!
    The one that died really did not have much of a life with there nerve endings damaged and not being able to stand up. I guess it was really for her best and she was happy and comfortable while she was alive.

8. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:Looks like were headed in the pocket pet direction. He seems to be past the age of loneliness being as big of a problem as it was. He just has to spend the nights alone, otherwise there is activity in the house all day including 6 dogs. I love nothing better than him fiddling around on my shoulder and in my hair. He grooms both of us!! I'll try some of your little tricks to occupy him and make life more interesting!

I'll look for a mirror to put in with him. I wish this was spring as this little case I got for the other chick is perfect for taking him with me just about everywhere and still have him safe.
    I think I should look into the diaper thing.......either that or buy stock in the Kleenex co!

9. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    my little blue mottled boy is a solo chick and he does just fine he gets noise some times but i just cover him with a blanket and he chilles out they do just fine solo !
    Quote:

10. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Got my birds from shelleyd2008 this morning. They are all alive and kicking!! We even got two eggs in the shipping boxes. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by